What's new

WB poor choice in audio for Terminator 3 (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

But you did mention that current decoders had trouble with 640 kbps Dolby (which they don't, at least not with 640 on BD)... based on your experiences with the non-spec DVDs that had Dolby at the 640 data rate. Sorry if I was confused by your comment about DVD's 448 limit not being a technical one. I bought up Roger's comments because they suggested something different (ie, that the physical structure and frame size of DVD and HD DVD were the source of the data-rate limit). My interest here is educational given how wildly confusing the DD issue is between the two formats.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

300 also has TrueHD. Hadn't realized until now that it also has PCM. So maybe WB has been backing-up TrueHD Blu-ray Discs with PCM to ensure full compatibility with early hardware.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
my bad. I read Michael's comments quickly earlier today...

and my brain merged the conversation with your own post. That's what I get for reading HTF while I should be working!

Apologies.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Now here is something that does not make sense and it shows that WB could have easily offered a DT-HD track on T3. WB is releasing Blade Runner on Blu-ray & HD-DVD and both versions will have Dolby True HD audio. So why is it that T3 which is a much newer film that should contain a more dynamic audio track not get a lossless track on HDM? While I am happy to see Blade Runner recieve at least one Dolby True HD track. I have to wonder why T3 didn't seem to warrent such a high quality audio track? If WB see's fit to re-release T3 later on with a PCM or Dolby True HD track there is a good chance I will buy it. But till then my HD-DVD with DD+ will have to do for the time being. :frowning:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Because this release is merely a "port" of the HD DVD timed to cash in on The Sarah Conner Chronicles. When T4 comes out you can expect a supery, dupery specialy edition. :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

That I do not doubt and it would not shock me at all if they introduced a quadrilogy Terminator box set after T4. I might totally be interested if they do all 4 films in lossless audio. Because so far this is all we have for the Terminator series as it stands.

The Terminator (Blu-ray) Uncompressed PCM 5.1
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Blu-ray) DTS-ES 5.1 & DD-EX 5.1
Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines (HD-DVD) Dolby Digital Plus

Since WB likes to use DN on Dolby tracks I would rather see uncompressed pcm for all 4 Terminator movies if they do offer a box set later. But I guess even with DN junk it will still be better then what they put out for T2 and T3 in high definition. The DTS track is still quite good for lossy audio but I feel these films need a really good lossless track to go with the HD video. :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Offering a box set of Terminator films might be difficult considering the rights seem scattered. However, if they could pull one off, I'd buy it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

No one, even WB, has claimed they didn't have room. As Paul points out, they're just porting over the HD DVD version to BD and since they hadn't bothered to put TrueHD on that (probably there was space there too), they nixed it on the BD. So far, WB hasn't produced any BD with better audio than HD DVD, though early on they released some HD DVDs with TrueHD while the BD got lossy only.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well it looks like Blade Runner will get a Dolby True HD track on Blu-ray. So while they use DN at least its going to have lossless.

But as far as Terminator 3 on Blu-ray goes its a NO SALE. I will put it back on my list if it gets a new release with uncompressed PCM or even if it has a really good Dolby True HD track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks