What's new

WB/New Line Triple Features (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Davisdvd.com is announcing some triple-feature releases (I'm not entirely certain how this will play out in terms of packaging) and most are similarly-themed by star (Elvis, Clint Eastwood) or genre (family, war, horses, but tucked way are some interesting new-to-dvd selections: 2 Randolph Scott trilogies (COLT 45/TALL MAN RIDING/FORT WORTH; THUNDER OVER THE PLAINS/RIDING SHOTGUN/MAN BEHIND THE GUN). All are new to homevideo. WB is also releasing all the John Wayne "B" westerns from the 1932-1934 period (THE BIG STAMPEDE/RIDE HIM COWBOY/HAUNTED GOLD; SOMWHERE IN SONOMA/TELEGRAPH TRAIL/MAN FROM MONTEREY). Due on November 7. I was expecting the promised double features before the triple feature (a la FIRECREEK/THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB)!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I was about to post about the new stuff! Fast on the trigger, partner. :D

After seeing Stagecoach for the first time (great movie!), I'm really interested in seeing John Wayne's B-movies.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
At a list price of $15, this likely means that you get three films for $8 or $9 at Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.

I know the 6 early John Wayne films made at Warner very well. They were released on VHS about a dozen years ago and with their brisk pace, and sense of fun, I've enjoyed them numerous times. For WB animation fans, there should be a note of interest that all six were produced by Leon Schlesinger!

The Randolph Scott films are especially good news, as well. The lesser films in this release are at bare minimum "good entertainment", while some of them are particularly fine films, especially those directed by Andre DeToth.

This is really wonderful news, more rarities from the Warner vault at a great price. I could be wrong, but I think most, if not all of these Randolph Scott films are making their home video debut, having never been given a VHS or LD release. If i am inaccurate about this, please chime in! :)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
These are listed at deepdiscountdvd.com already, at $9.97.

I don't believe the Warner Scott's were released before, either. These two triple features would leave five WB Scott's:SUGARFOOT,CARSON CITY, BOUNTY HUNTER,SHOOTOUT AT MEDICINE BEND,and WESTBOUND. Adding the four Scott RKO titles: TRAIL STREET,BADMAN'S TERRITORY,RETURN OF THE BADMEN,and RAGE AT DAWN, maybe we can hope for three more triple features of Randolph Scott westerns.

It would be nice to see a non-public domain, RAGE AT DAWN. I see the usually public domain, GO FOR BROKE is on the war DVD triple feature with: OBJECTIVE BURMA and NEVER SO FEW.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
CameronMcC: No direct link. Search by movie title, "triple feature" or click on the ER TV show ad on the left at DDD. This brings up the Warner Home Video A-Z list. Too new to have much info, no cover art. All the triples in this group are $9.97, Nov 7 release.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Just look at the Daily News section for Monday, August 14 at DavisDVD to see the list of Triple Features Warners in putting out.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I hope this bodes well for some of the lesser known classic films that I want on DVD. Mainly those early MGM gems starring Elizabeth Taylor, before those string of Oscar nominated performances starting in the mid-1950s. Would I like to see these fully restored? Of course! But I'd rather have them available on DVD, than not at all.

Andy

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I was reading about these over at DVDActive and someone there said that most of these will actually be 2-disc sets.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Why not make them quadruple-features then? I'm a little uneasy about this because all the New Line double-features that have come out so far have had foolscreen transfers, even if the regular DVD was only widescreen, and Warner has used only the foolscreen versions on some of their double-features as well, though others use only widescreen when the regular discs had both.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I'm weary of some of these myself. The Westerns would all be FULL FRAME anyway and the Eastwood films already only have Widescreen transers but I will have to wait and hear for sure before I purchase.

Warner is re-issuing GRUMPY and GRUMPIER OLD MEN next week with new Anamorphic transfers on a DOUBLE FEATURE disc. So perhaps these will also have new transfers. I would love to have a Anamorphic transfer of HOOPER.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks