WB: Music-Only Tracks on Looney Tunes?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jaime_Weinman, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I was listening to my "Carl Stalling Project" CDs (two CDs with original soundtracks from Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons) and it occurred to me that there's something that I would dearly love to have on Warners' promised Looney Tunes DVDs: Music-only tracks for some of the cartoons. We know that some of the cartoon soundtracks are exist in music-only versions, and still others exist in combined music/effects tracks. Since Carl Stalling's music so brilliantly responds to every action of the characters (indeed, he wrote the scores before the cartoons were finished -- he worked from the same timing sheets as the animators, and timed the music to the actions as set out in the timing sheets), it would be incredible to have the opportunity to hear the music without the dialogue, and follow every eye-blink xylophone, every wah-wah trombone, every pop-song quotation.

How about it, WB? I don't know which cartoons will be on the first release, but surely some of them must have music-only tracks available -- please, make them available to us.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Better yet, record one of the live shows. The Philadelphia Orchestra shows LT in 35mm sans music tracks and provides it live every few years

3. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I don't care for those shows, actually. It's a nice gimmick and all, but the live orchestra doesn't have the same flavor as the WB studio orchestra on the Stalling CDs (even if the actual playing of the orchestra is kind of disappointing in the later soundtracks, because after 1955 they didn't have the same quality of musicians). They don't get the same oomph into them wah-wah trombones, y'know.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The CSP CDs DO mention that a ton of the cartoons have music-only/music-effects tracks around.

I think there are a lot of floor recordings still around, but mostly for post-1950 cartoons. The quality of those is superb.

Also, a bunch of the cartoons still have their original soundtrack negatives, so the audio should be very nice.