What's new

WB Legends of Horror Collection (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Oh, I'll be grabbing it too --- so fast that your head will spin! :) But still, I can relate to what you've said 100%, Mario. It was a big oversight not including THE WALKING DEAD (with Boris Karloff) and THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (with Peter Lorre). Following is the perfect way to co-feature these films, and if also released separately, fans could pick and choose the double features they want:

The Mask of Fu Manchu/The Walking Dead (Karloff Double Feature)
Mad Love/The Beast WIth Five Fingers (Peter Lorre Double Feature)
Doctor X/Return of Dr. X (Dr. X Double Feature)
Mark of the Vampire/The Devil Doll (Tod Browning Double Feature)

Perfect.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, if you're trying to sell as many units as possible then placing various titles in one boxset might be more profitable than doing some double feature dvds in which the consumers can cherry pick which titles/specific actors they want to buy discs of. Also, Warner likes to spread their releases out so they can possibly do another boxset next Fall. At times, we forget that Warner is in the business of making a profit.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

That's fine with me, if that's what's going to happen. It's all kind of speculation at this time. I just hope that Warner isn't forgetting they have the two other horror films mentioned at their disposal (and some others).

AndySvn

Agent
The two films for every disc idea must have carried over from the Val Lewton set last year. I'm not crazy about it, either.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, in some cases (like this one) it works out nicely for me. But there are far more collector box sets I haven't picked up at all because I only want certain individual films from them. I would guess that most movie buyers other than us diehards prefer cherry picking what they like instead of what they have to take.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

So I was just watching MASK OF FU MANCHU on this new set and find it odd that, although it looks great overall and is the uncut version as promised, the cut scenes are still of lesser quality than the rest of the film. You can tell immediately from the quality downgrade (albeit slight) what scenes had been cut and now added back in. I thought Warners said, or at least implied, that they found the negative of the complete version (and the commentator on the bonus track even seems to imply that), so why does it resemble the same old TCM print where you can still tell what shots had been cut? Anyway, not a big complaint - the film does look good and I'm thrilled to have it - and the bonus commentary track is an interesting listen as well.

I've never been a big fan of MARK OF THE VAMPIRE or RETURN OF DOCTOR X, but I do like the other three on this set so it's really a great deal.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Well Greg Mank on the commentary does say at least a couple times that the censored scenes were cut out of the original negative. So I guess we can assume that the original negative material for them is long gone (unfortunately).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks