What's new

WB Legends of Horror Collection (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Just read on Davisdvd, that WB will release a 3 disc box set, containning the following titles: the Devil Doll, Doctor X, The Return of Doctor X, Mad Love, The Mask of Fu Manchu and Mark of the Vampire. This box set is slated for a October 3rd release. Retail is US$ 29,99.

Good news, but with the Bogart set rescheduled for October, won't we have any WB announcements for September?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news! Though I'm a little disappointed the 30's quasi-horror classic Kongo didn't make it into the set. :frowning: Still this is a must-have collection.

BTW I'm also curious as to the lack of September announcements from Warner. I was expecting announcements for new editions of Blade Runner, 2001:ASO, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Forbidden Planet, etc.

Adam Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Scott
I didnt even know Clockwork Orange was scheduled to be treated to a reissue....I haven't gotten around to picking up the "Digitally Remastered" version from the Kubrick Collection (but separately, as I did with the Shining and Full Metal Jacket)...was there something wrong, per se, with this "digitally remastered" last release of Clockwork Orange?

What a film....

Long Live Alex and his Droogs! :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This is on my to-buy list now. These are a little cheesy (especially The Devil Doll and Mark of the Vampire), but a lot of fun to watch. I'm eager to finally have Mad Love on DVD.

While the video quality is virtually flawless, it's not 16x9 enhanced. The new DVD will be and it'll have a commentary by Malcolm McDowell.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Nothing wrong with the current ACO disc Adam. The Kubrick films are in the works for the full blown 2-disc SE treatment, last I read was 4 of the WB titles (ACO, 2001:ASO, The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut) being due this Sept.

[Patrick beat me to the 16x9 and McDowell commentary]

Now back to the WB Masters of Horror celebration. ;)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
According to Davis DVD , Warner will be releasing Legends of Horror, a 3 disc set of newly remastered classic horror films. THE DEVIL DOLL, DOCTOR X, RETURN OF DOCTOR X, MAD LOVE, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE, and MASK OF FU MANCHU. Retail will be $29.99. Very Cool News!!!!!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've only seen Return of Dr. X once, when I was on my "see everything Bogart" kick, but I'll be glad to watch it again. I hope this is a sign that his other B movies will be out soon.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I wonder if both versions of DR. X will be included.

Either way, this is certainly great news. THE RETURN OF DR. X has never been released on ANY format so a big :emoji_thumbsup: to Warner on that one. Word already got out that MASK would be uncut and MARK is coming from the original negative.

I'm sure this will eventually get released. It could always go in a Huston set, a Controversial Collection or in the Chaney set with the original film (or released as a double feature).

The fact they're bothering to release THE RETURN makes me very comfortable that their other horror titles are in safe hands.

Fox is releasing more junk horror titles this year at Halloween so this here is great.

JohnPM

Second Unit
Question --- now that Warners is giving us these thirties titles, what horror/sci-fi titles are left for them to release? The first group that comes to mind for me are the Allied Artists 50's titles, and that's a nice, large bunch, as I recall. Other than that, there is "The Beast With Five Fingers", the WB Karloffs (including "The Walking Dead"), a few silents perhaps ... and what else?

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm VERY happy with this announcement, which we knew was coming after Warner's last movie chat here at HTF, though we didn't know for sure which films would be released. But I was wondering about Boris Karloff's THE WALKING DEAD (1936) and Peter Lorre's THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (1946). These are two films which should have been included in this wonderful set too. I mean, if they don't make it into the collection here, what other package would they be worked into?

One of my most wanted Allied Artists titles is Karloff's FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958), so maybe this may be included in some sort of Boris Karloff Collection with THE WALKING DEAD at a later point? What other Karloff films does Warner have to release (well, MASK OF FU MANCHU is already being used for this set, so....)?

Great news, but I'm just wondering about the missing titles.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
I read this news just before going to work this morning and all I can say is that it made my day! I knew these films were coming, but the fact that Warners has included Audio Commentaries for each film is, quite simply, the icing on the cake (which is a luxury not even afforded the Val Lewton Collection)!!

Still, like Joe and others have said, I wish that they could have found place in there for THE WALKING DEAD (1936) and THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (1946). Oh well, my DVD-R and VHS copies respectively will tide me over nicely for the moment...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe, they're going to have another release next year? Don't know, but it's certainly a possibility. Also, they did include six different movies that many of us can probably buy from an etailer for $3.50 a movie.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Although I knew this set was coming, I'm still very happy hearing the news of its release, especially that they will be including [/b]Return of Dr X[/b] a film I've never had the chance to see.

Like others I wonder about The Walking Dead & The Beast With Five Fingers. Although I have the lasers of these, it would be nice to see these released (along with The Picture of Dorian Gray).

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
The Devil Doll is outstanding, great out of size sets (There is a great Christmas scene in the film). Lionel Barrymore is great as usual. I also have hopes the black & white version of Dr. X is included as it is slightly different than the color. If you have the laser disc, you have the uncut version of Fu Manchu but here it will be mastered from the recently "discovered/uncovered" negative.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Okay, but I still haven't heard anything further on what they plan to do next year for the Dark Shadows films!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Fantastic news. Devil Doll, Doctor X, and Mask of Fu Manchu are huge favorites. I've had them on video for nearly a quarter of a century, it'll be great to finally have them on digital disc. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I've compiled a list of Horror/quasi Horror films made from 1931 - 1948 and here are, taken from that list, the remaining such films Warners could release (except of course for any lost films):

Beast With Five Fingers, The (1946 - Warner Bros./First National)
Before Dawn (1933 – Warners)
Fingers at the Window (1942 MGM)
Game of Death, A (1945 – RKO)
Genius at Work (1946 - RKO)
Gildersleeve's Ghost (1944 – RKO)
Gorilla (1931 - Warner Bros)
Kongo (1932 – MGM)
Mad Genius, The (1931 - Warner Bros./First National)
Miracles for Sale (1939 - MGM)
Monkey's Paw (1933 - RKO)
Mummy’s Boys (1936 – RKO)
Mysterious Doctor, The (1943 - Warner Bros./First National)
Night Must Fall (1937 MGM)
Picture of Dorian Gray, The (1945 – MGM)
Return of the Terror (1934 Warner Bros.)
Sh! The Octopus (1937 - Warner Bros.)
Smiling Ghost, The (1941 - Warner Bros./First National)
Stranger on the Third Floor (1940 - RKO)
Thirteen Women (1932 – RKO)
Walking Dead, The (1936 - Warner Bros./First National)
You’ll Find Out (1940 – RKO)
Zombies on Broadway (1945 – RKO)

They have enough Lugosi-Karloff-Lorre films that they could release a Volume 2 next year which could consist of:

Beast With Five Fingers, The (Lorre)
Genius at Work (Lugosi)
Stranger on the Third Floor (Lorre)
Walking Dead, The (Karloff)
You’ll Find Out (Karloff-Lugosi-Lorre)
Zombies on Broadway (Lugosi)

I'm very excited by this set. It's going to be another great Halloween for DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks