What's new

WB how about a 2 disc SE of CIMARRON? (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It would be great if WB would release a 2 disc SE of the 1930 Oscar winning Best PIcture , CIMARRON and the 1960 remake of CIMARRON with Glenn Ford. Great land rush scenes in both films with a sweeping Franz Waxman score in the latter.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Film Score Monthly released Waxman's terrific score last month. Mann's remake isn't bad but both versions get a bit pokey after the land rush. Ferber raises some interesting proto-feminist issues.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both films have their moments, but overall, I consider them mediocre in comparison to other great films. However, we've seen mediocre films before get the SE treatment.

Crawdaddy

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, once you get that Best Picture award, that puts you in a different class. Yeah, there are a number of bland BP winners, but that status means they should get top treatment on DVD. I'd sure like to see this on DVD in whatever form...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not in my book, especially since its BP Oscar is arguably listed as the worse of all-time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But I think that getting the Oscar merits a certain level of treatment, never mind what various people think of the film in question. In other words, BP winners should always get top-notch DVDs, even if you or I think the movies stink...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Even if Cimarron is the worst best picture winner ever, (and I believe it at least has a spot on the leader board), a 2-disc release with the remake would be a reasonable approach. The 2-disc release says "prestige" whereas the two movie "twofer" approach says "standard catalog". That pretty much covers the bases. :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks