WB Film Noir, Volume 4

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Those movies also had the inimitable Eric Blore along for the ride. William looked like he was having great fun making these films. The good news is that it looks like Sony might finally be looking to exploit some of their Columbia properties. TCM has a number of Columbia titles on their January 2007 schedule, including the equally wonderful BOSTON BLACKIE (Chester Morris) series.

It's gratifying to see that there are more Warren William fans than I thought.

Steve

AndySvn

Agent
How weird, I was just watching "The Mind Reader" last night. Bogie's ex Mayo Methot has a pretty intense part in the film.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

Given the success of the CHAN releases (I hope MOTO did well as some of the best of the series are yet to come) it would be fun if Warners would release collections of its Perry Mason and Philo Vance titles, both of which William contributed to of course.

So, is anyone started counting how many of the 200 WHV titles for 2007 have already been announced?

Sergio

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I just saw the announcement for Michael Shayne Private Detective Collection: Volume 1 scheduled for March 20th, 2007. It's another, nearly forgotten, great movie series. Only Dressed to Kill has been previously released on DVD.

It will include: Michael Shayne, Private Detective/The Man Who Wouldn’t Lie/Sleepers West/Blue, White & Perfect.

I hope Time To Kill will be included in Volume 2. It's an earlier and much better version of Brasher Doubloon. Lloyd Nolan is great and Michael Shayne.

Corey

Screenwriter

yes, i'm keeping count in thet 200 titles in 2007 thread and i added some possibilties

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel

Is having two films on a single side of a disc technically superior to having one film on each side of a dual-sided disc?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think either way is technically superior to the other but I'd prefer two movies on one side. Since most of the movies are relatively short and won't have DD 5.1 or DTS tracks, there's no space problems that would occur by putting two on one disc.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

That's really great news, though I hope the price point is lower than the Chan and Moto collections, otherwise it might never get to volume 2 - it'll be great to see THE MAN WHO OWULDN'T DIE, based on Clayton Rawson's classic Great Merlini novel. And I really agree with you about the adaptation of Chandler's 'The High Window', though i am looking forward to seeing BRASHER DOUBLOON again when it comes out - Eddie Muller has provided an audio commentary for that one hasn't he?

Sergio

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Excellent News!

I would like to see WB take this same approach for the "Pre-Code" sets.

Corey

Screenwriter

please, i hope they do. i hope they read this one. could you imagine a huge 10 film pre-code set??

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I hate to sound critical of WHV but that is what I was hoping with the first pre-code collection. The first release almost seems like a botched opportunity (few films, packaging problems, etc.)

Steve

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina

I read that Eddie Muller has recorded the commentary for Brasher Doubloon but Fox had some legal issues with releasing the movies so it is hard to tell when (if ever) we'll see it. In my opinion, Brasher Doubloon's biggest issue is George Montgomery's lack of 'noir' charisma. Lloyd Nolan, on the other hand, was fantastic as a noir protagonist.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina

CORNERED has also been released on DVD in Italy. To my knowledge, THEY LIVE BY NIGHT has been released in France and Spain.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina

Many of these and other interesting film noir titles have already been available on DVD in non-R1 format:

The Big Steal - In France. Also, it's been announced for 2/5 released in the UK along with The Glass Key and Blue Dahlia

Station West, Blood On The Moon, Party Girl, Portrait of Dorian Gray, Follow Me Quietly, The Window, The Woman On The Beach, The Fugutuve, Cry Of The City, The Woman's Secret, Angel Face, Macao, Berlin Express, Journey Into Fear, Experiment Perilous - In France

The Las Vegas Story, They Won't Believe Me, The Fallen Sparrow - In Italy

The Strage Affair Of Uncle Harry, Sleep, My Love, Armored Car Robbery, Human Desire, Bodyguard, Stool Pigeon - In Spain

Dragonwyck, Affair In Trininad, Reckless Moment - In the UK

Blanche Fury - Australia

Here is another group of WB Films that would make a interesting noir set

The first three with underrated Steve Cochran, "Great Jewel Robbery" with David Brian and the last a surprise with Gordon MacRae making his film debut in a non singing roll in "The Big Punch" The first four have not been viewed in many a years in the NYC area and never on TCM. The "Big Punch" might have been on TCM.

Does anyone have any idea why the WB films of the 50's for the most part have not been shown on TCM since they acquired the right to their library a few year back from MGM ?

Highway 301 (1950,Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison (1951),Tomorrow Is Another Day (1951) Great Jewel Robbery (1950), The Big Punch (1948)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Also BACKFIRE (1950); Virginia Mayo, Gordon MacRae, Viveca Lindfors, Edmond O'Brien, Ed Begley, and Dane Clark. It was directed by Vincent Sherman. I wonder if Sherman recorded a commentary for it? I believe from THE HASTY HEART commentary that Warner coerced him into directing it and he didn't like the film.

I agree with you about Steve Cochran and how underrated he was (and his performance in STORM WARNING is frighteningly memorable),

Any movement on CAGED. If it's not in the noir box, does this portend an Eleanor Parker boxset? I'd also like to see King Vidor's LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE (Ruth Roman, Richard Todd, Mercedes MacCambridge, and Zachary Scott) released.

Corey

Screenwriter

Feltenstein said that Caged will be in a promotion with other films that were never released on any home video format (VHS, LD, DVD). I hope they're all in a boxset so that they'll be cheaper. Queen of Outer Space is another film ion the promotion, too.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Aw, I was hoping THREE STRANGERS and THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK would have been included here. Waitaminnit...who owns these two anyway? (I think I may have asked this at some point before, but I'll be hornswoggled if I can remember...)

Corey

Screenwriter
The New York Times did a piece on Muller's Noir City 5 today and in the piece mentioned a scoop. This year's Warner noir box set would have two titles featuring Robert Mitchum....which would seem to say the line-up for the set has changed a little bit. The only film that imdb shows as having Mitchum is Where Danger Lives so maybe we'll get The Big Steal this year after all.

Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt, Nights Are Noir in Fog City

Quote:
Film noir is enjoying something of a second golden age at the moment. In addition to the San Francisco festival, the Film Forum in New York City offered a major noir series last year, and studios like Warner Brothers and Fox have ratcheted up their noir reissues to such an extent that many films that never made it out on VHS are appearing on DVD. Just last week Warner Home Video released 1952’s “Angel Face,” starring Robert Mitchum, which had only been available on foreign or pirated VHS tapes. Mr. Muller provides the commentary track.

“With film noir, if you show it to a group of 20-year-olds, they’ll find something to get hooked on,” said George Feltenstein, Warner Home Video’s voluble senior vice president for marketing for its classic catalog. “There is a sexiness to it, there is a mystery took it. These are very seductive movies, they are not cookie-cutter.”

Warner Brothers has released three noir box sets. The first, which came out in 2004 and featured titles like “Out of the Past” and “The Asphalt Jungle,” hit No. 1 on Amazon.com’s DVD list. This year Warner’s fourth noir set will include 10 rather than 5 movies. Here’s a scoop for noir fans: Two will star Mr. Mitchum.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsunamiMike