What's new

WB DVD spreads the gospel of TCM! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I noticed that the new 2-disc DVDs for Singin' In The Rain, Amadeus: Director's Cut, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: SE all have a little card advertising Turner Classic Movies.

The back of the little card brought a smile to my face...

"NO CUTS. NO COMMERCIALS. NO COMPETITION.

Movies aren't just entertainment. Movies are magic.
The illusion that keeps reality at bay,
war or depression be dammed. The ticket to
other worlds, past lives, and future generations.
That's why we push preservation. Respect the
letterbox. Never edit films. Never, ever show
commercials. TCM brings you classic movies
without the clutter and chaos."

Hmm...do you think some DVD studios and TV channels could take a pointer from WHV and TCM?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Patrick,
WHV and TCM are owned by the same parent company, so I doubt it.

Crawdaddy

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're advertising it in theaters too. I did hear some clapping when it came up so I had to smile ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Patrick,
WHV and TCM are owned by the same parent company, so I doubt it.
Oh...I just meant that companies like Columbia and Disney need to pay attention (mostly to letterboxing) and AMC.

If you've seen AMC lately, you'll see how much of a joke it has become. (Commercials, edited, time-compressed, and pan & scan only!)

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I have always been wondering why Warner doesn't have a TCM line of DVDs.

I think it would nice to have introductions to the movies by the hosts of TCM and it would make them slightly better than a "bare-bones" release. There's something about the whole "style" to the channel that I like too.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure many cable companies do, at least as part of their "basic" plan. Mine only carries it the digital service.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I used to love AMC. Now it sucks and almost nothing is WS anymore. I've sent AMC a few e-mail complaining about how they butchered films. I recorded THE BOSTON STRANGLER on AMC and could not believe they butchered it. It's one of those movies that has to show correctly because of all the split screens. I got a lovely form e-mail back.
I'm a TMC girl now! :)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
AMC might as well be off my channel listing anymore. God, I loved that channel when it first debuted and brought great old movies into my living room! Now it's just another hacked-up commercial station. Bleh.

TCM is the way to go!

Jan

Gui A

Supporting Actor
The TCM ad is also in the DVDs that are sold in Canada... I liked reading it, but the channel isn't available up here.

BarryS

Second Unit
I don't watch AMC at all anyone either. A while back, they showed a Spencer Tracy/Katharine Hepburn comedy which was a CinemaScope film, in pan and scan. I think it was Desk Set. I was shocked, I couldn't believe that were showing a movie in P&S. Now, I don't bother with AMC anymore. I rely on TCM, IFC and Fox Movie Channel.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
AMC recently showed Once Upon a Time In The West . I never seen this film and was hoping to watch it. . They teased you with the opening sequence being in it's proper aspect ratio and once the opening credits was over the film was panned and scanned. The film was unwatchable in this format. How can a network that claims to have a love for films butcher them?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks