What's new

WB: Cut the crap (on the screen) (1 Viewer)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
As I mentioned in the Smallville discussion, I'm dumping Smallville from the TiVo list. The show's losing my interest somehow this season, but what really pushed me over the edge was all the crap the WB threw on the screen.

During dramatic moments I'd get searchlights blaring across the bottom third of the screen, highlighting The Bachelor or a dancing Drew Carey. Please...stop the insanity! I know you're dealing with people skipping over the commercials, but screwing up the shows for the sake of promos isn't the way to go. Once viewers leave the show, you're got zero eyeballs.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I feel your pain.

I've just about decided to stop watching broadcast '24' because of our local affiliate, which insists upon inserting screen crawls for the local (affiliate station) news program? And, I'm not talking major breaking news here... During one of the final (last or next-to-last) eps of this season, approximately 10-11 minutes before the end of the program (during an important scene): "WHAT'S GONE UP MORE? GAS? MILK? EGGS? THE SURPRISING ANSWER ON FOX43 NEWS AT TEN."

I can't wait to get my hands on the Season 3 DVDs in November. And, I just might not even try the new season in January...I may just wait for the real, untainted thing to hit retail in another year or so.

I realize that your thread is pointed at the WB network...not Fox, and not an individual affiliate like mine. But, both the networks (ALL of them) and the affiliates need to know that we viewers are being driven away from broadcast television by these ridiculous tactics.

What good will all their ads be when there's nobody left to watch them?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
All the networks seem to be doing this. Once one starts the rest follow. I've stopped watching NBC since they have the worst scrawls. TV programing is bad enough but these ads are the final nail in the coffin. I'll stick to the films I've bought and rented on DVD instead.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I won't watch ANYTHING with a continuous logo on the screen, which has been going on for over six years now (CBS and ABC were the last to succumb to the practice in 1998). I don't see how anyone can stand to watch a show with a network logo- it reduces the emotional impact of a show to that of a test pattern. I remember trying to watch NYPD Blue when Jimmy Smit's character was dying- they were showing him on his deathbed in the hospital, and the old familiar ABC logo was keeping watch over him- I couldn't stop thinking about Schoolhouse Rock!
I used to watch a lot of TV 15 years ago, because of the logos I now watch NOTHING. This also means that I'm not familiar with any recent commercials or ad campaigns. I wanted to work in the TV industry for a while but decided not to because of this, and find it extremely ironic that HDTV is finally a reality but it's being ruined by on-screen junk. I would rather see TV go back to black-and-white, at least back then they had more respect for the picture than they do now.
I promise to watch every show for a season on the first broadcast network to STOP this practice and go back to running their shows with NOTHING on the screen but the program itself.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter

You've got that right! I've been hesitant to invest in HD (although I have an HD-ready TV) for exactly this reason. What's the point of having great resolution when your viewing experience is going to be spoiled by all of the on-screen crap?

Greg_M

Screenwriter
As much as we hate the crap - and we do - this is probably the wrong place to complain. The people who work in Home Video have no relation to the Network programing - they're two separate departments which have nothing to do with each other. At least home video isn't putting the water mark/logo on their DVD releases!!!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I agree. I really don't want to see that stupid Drew Carey dancing on the bottom of my picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks