WB chooses odd and awkward disc mounts on Waltons S2.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by RandallV, May 13, 2005.

1. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Has anyone else had trouble with the way the last four discs overlap on just two pages? It's a pain retrieving disc 3 when you have to remove disc 2 first... I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

2. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Just try it on the UK ER sets, which are packaged that way, and still double sided discs (unlike the recent American release of ER S3. Still, my ER S4 was posted yesterday!)

3. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

I wish I could post pics of this box. It's outrageous![​IMG]

4. James Reader

Lots of sets are packaged this way. The latest Buena Vista TV titles are, as are other Warner sets, such as Murphy Brown and the Ultimate Matrix Collection.

There a pic of the Golden Girls set at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.ultimatedisney.com/thegol...-season1b.html

I guess we will be seeing a lot more.

5. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Good god! This is a horrible idea and it is spreading! This is my first experience with bizarre disc-stacking storage. Maybe I should buy some slim packs from Store X and make my Waltons life a bit easier. NOTE: I was thinking about buying The Golden Girls and now I'm leaning away from a purchase. It's too much hassle to repackage every darn DVD set that is produced in some cockeyed way.

BTW, thanks for the link. [​IMG]

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

This is happening because people didn't like the double-sided discs, so they've gone to single-sided discs, and smaller packaging (for shelf space) by doubling up the discs.

I feel bad for the studios; we don't like one way they do it, so they change and then we have something else to complain about.

Gord

7. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

The Waltons discs are double sided. That's what makes it tough to remove them without, dropping them, fingerprints...

I love Warner Bros. Packaging can always be perfected. Look at the CD.

8. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

I don't feel sorry for them at all. They get it right now and then but they don't stick with it. IMO, they got it just right with the last West Wing season which had very thin pages that opened like a book. Each disc had it's own "page". It was a thing of beauty. The footprint was no larger than the ER set but the design was vastly superior.

9. James Reader

Yeah. I don't mind the overlapping hubs. But they are most definitely not suited for double sided discs. Today I will see if the UK is still sticking to double sided discs for ER. (Indications are that they are, as the S4 press release says 4 discs)

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I LIKE 2-sided discs. I DON'T like these "overlap" cases.

11. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Why can't they use those thin cases with two discs in them one on each door like Greatest American Hero has? They save room and actually keep the discs pretty well, the nipple is sturdy and if it were to be loose it would not fall and shake around due to the tightness of the box.

12. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Warner Bros hasn't ever used those cases before. They prefer things that fold out.

Gord

13. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Warner has issued some of their 2 disc classic films in cases that have a "swinging door" tab that holds the second disc. The case itself is standard size.

They should look into those cases for the TV shows. I agree with the OP. My wife has the Murphy Brown set and the packaging is obnoxious.

Steve

14. Dax P

Dax P Stunt Coordinator

WB is using the 'pages' thing for Gilmore Girls (1 and 2 in a front-and-back style, 3 is thinner, just one disc to a page, styled like the Three's Company sets, or the Panic Room 3-disc). I like it.

I don't terribly mind the overlapping discs thing, so long as the hubs/discs aren't damaged... but if they are... they're troublesome, problematic... I haven't had a problem YET, but they do make me kinda nervous...

I don't think anybody has a problem with the thin cases, do they? Pretty universally liked, aren't they?

I hate the double-sided discs- had a lot of problems with glitches on the ER 1 and 2 sets... not anticipating any with the single-sided ER 3 discs now...