What's new

WB Chats TV Shows on DVD (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I haven't talked to them about Brimestone. I haven't looked into that title to know what level of interest there is there. I liked the show when it aired, but I haven't seen or heard much of it since then.

I guess Universal would own "Jack of All Trades," but I don't know if they will license stuff out since they've become part of NBC.

I wish the studios would reconsider licensing their shows to the smaller guys. There are so many "cult" shows that we won't see for years simply because they aren't popular enough for the big studios. 40k units on a cult title could be good for an independent, but it would be bad for a major.

Gord

Rick P

Supporting Actor

I don't know .. I dug out my old tapes in preperation for DVD-R'ing and the end credits only show "Renaissance Pictures" [Sam Rami's organization?] and "Studio USA" [Which may be Universal]. One interesting point is that the OTHER HALF of that syndicated hour [Back-to-Back Action], "Cleopatra 2525" {which is pure cheese-and-a, but fun) *HAS* been released in both R2 (UK) and R4 (OZ)!

May be worth a whisper in the ear of Anchor Bay...

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I don't know how it works in TV but I can give you some insight into licensing in the music industry. With back catalogue on limited commercial viability product, here's how the majors stack up:

Columbia - great at sub-licensing out stuff
Universal - need big guarantees, doesn't happen
Warners - same as Universal

Paramount, MGM and Fox no longer own their music libraries under those names, they are all under Universal. By large guarantees I am talking 15 or 20 thousand. Most of these little known acts would sell a few thousand at most, making the licensing impossible. Whether or not the video divisions of these companies would have the same policies is unknown.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Trying to explain the entire history between Universal, Studios USA, October Films, and Focus would be confusing if not impossible... But let's just say that now, they all fall under the "Universal" umbrella and NBC will soon officially own all of them (at which point they'll probably spin some section off just to make it more confusing).

And, yes, "Renaissance Pictures" was/is Sam Raimi and Robert Tapert's production company; I don't know if it's still around, as it hasn't actually produced anything lately.

Rick P

Supporting Actor

HOWEVER, weren't the Xena/Hercules series also under the Renaissance Pictures/Studios USA banner??? And Anchor Bay is happily releasing those sets... by extension they SHOULD be able to get something going with Jack (and what the hey... Cleopatra 2525.. I'm sure a few people would enjoy Jennifer Sky/Gina Torres/Victoria Pratt :D ) Just make the series seperate box sets...

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, sure, Universal in the past has had a pretty good relationship with Anchor Bay. The Hercules and Xena licenses were probably granted before the merger with NBC (which isn't yet official); the question is whether the new owners will be as open to licensing as Vivendi was.

I think it's likely; NBC has licensed its own product to Lion's Gate, A&E, and others for home video distribution. Of course, that was before they had something like Universal Home Video in-house.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Highlander/Xena/Hercules were licensed to Panzer/Davis who is using Anchor Bay as their retail partner. That was all done awhile ago and wouldn't reflect the current status of Universal.

For TV the only major company that will license stuff is Buena Vista (Disney) and possibly Fox. Warner and Columbia TriStar simply won't consider licensing anything out at all.

Gord

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm another one longing for Brimstone. I'd especially love it if there was some commentary or featurette with the show's creators, letting us know how they planned to end the series.

I wonder if WB is aware that it stars John Glover (Smallville's Lionel Luthor)? I'm sure that a lot of Smallville fans who never saw Brimstone in its original run or in Sci-Fi Channel repeats would buy the dvd just for him. It's practically the same character.

I'd also love Brisco County, and can't imagine that WB wouldn't make money off of it -- have they noticed how many different versions of Evil Dead Anchor Bay has managed to foist off on us?

Real Name
Anthony
Rhoda may well be a Fox property but this was said on the previous Warners chat -

Warner : Next year you will finally see RHODA in all her glory!

I rest my case.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jason and MaraKM. Yeah Brimstone is my most wanted show on DVD. I'd love to have Peter Horton and John Glover talking about the show or doing some commentary for some episodes. It wouild be cool to see a list of of the all captured 113 so far as well.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

I thought they said Season 2 was the only season slated for this year? If I'm wrong, I'll be quite glad - compared to how quickly they've put out the Friends season sets, it's been a frustrating wait for the ER sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks