WB Cancels Birds of Prey

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, Nov 19, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Last episode to air by the end of November.

For me, this was the only new show I was really looking forward to, so I can't say I'm surprised it's being cancelled.

I think that if they stayed truer to the source material, the program could have had a stronger start and survived. Even still, I don't think they gave the show the chance to blossom. I was waiting for the show to live up to it's potential myself.

You know when WB starts cancelling shows this early in the season, there are no more outlets for "different" shows to find their niche. I remember the "good old days" when Fox gave most every show at least a season, sometimes two, to find their audience.

Can anyone tell me why "Reba" is still on?

2. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

3. Michael St. Clair

I thought the writing for BoP was just awful.

I don't have much of a problem with the casting or the premise. I don't think it needed to be 'more true to the comics'. You just can't make up for bad writing.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

*Chuckle* TV Guide was going to put the ladies of the BoP on 4 different covers for their Dec. 14th issue. Doh!

5. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I'm a comic fan who hated it.
    I couldn't make it through the pilot.

I was expected Batman-esque detective/super hero scenes, what I got was a whiny goth girl whose eyes change and beats up muggers.

Whoever did the costume design should be banned from Hollywood. How can they take such great costume designs as Batman and Catwoman and come up with lace, leather boots and trenchcoat?

Doug

6. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

I beleive that if they would have stuck to the original pilot plans and not altered their vision of the show to be lighter and, in a sense, more fluffy, then things would have been different. I much prefered the darker images than what they ended up doing.

I really hate to see the show go...the writing yes, was a lot to be desired. BUT...there are far more worse shows in their second and further seasons...

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>I was expected Batman-esque detective/super hero scenes, what I got was a whiny goth girl whose eyes change and beats up muggers.>

Exactly why I never tuned in to another episode. Especially since Smallville seemed to have done it right..

Now, if only they could get Tim Burton or Paul Dini to do a Batman show RIGHT with Young Bruce Wayne, that I'd tune in to...

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Smallville is like something from Marvel's Ultimate line of comics: You take well known heroes and bring their stories into current day, and throw most of the 30-40 years of continuity out the window while maintaining some semblence of the original characters. It's like starting fresh with today's sensibilities. And whether you like it or not, there was life before Buffy. [​IMG]
    BoP skipped a few decades and put the stories almost a generation ahead, and hoped that people would dig a show where the women are shown to be strong, assertive, and take no crap from anyone. What they should have focused more on was storytelling, and consistency. I nominate Reese as one of the poorest written characters to come down the pike in a long time.

11. Jeff Kleist

It's like starting fresh with today's sensibilities.[/quote]
    That's fine, as long as you don't blaspheme the character
    Spider-Man did this very nicely with virtually 0 blasphemy, so did X-Men.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I don't get this "blasphemy" response to Smallville.

13. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>

14. Michael St. Clair

I'm not a big fan of Smallville, at least not yet. But I don't see it as blasphemy.
    Look at 'The Ultimate Spider-Man'. They are revising an old character in comic-book form the same way 'Smallville' is in TV form. I doubt you'll find more than 10% of Marvel fans who find 'Ultimate' to be blasphemy, especially since they aren't killing the original continuity.
    Hell, the whole John Byrne Superman thing is probably more blasphemy than Smallville is. And if you play the 'Crisis' card to excuse one, then that works on the other as well.
    As far as 'Prey' goes, whether it was a darker premise, or a lighter premise, or more true to the comics, or less true to the comics, if the writing staff sucks as much as this one, the show would STILL SUCK.

15. Thomas D

Thomas D Stunt Coordinator

16. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

I think the fact that this show premiered to such high ratings, yet is now being cancelled only proves that it was a bad show.

It's not as if this show couldn't "find" an audience; it had an audience and couldn't keep it.

Most new shows fail because people don't tune in in the first place. But this show had people interested in it from day one-- they just didn't like what they saw and fled in droves.

17. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I'm not sorry to see BoP go. It was an ambitious project and maybe it could have worked. The final product was just not very good.

Jeff, I'd also like to know what you mean by Smallville being a blasphemy. Is it just because they don't follow the Superman story to the letter?

I consider myself a hard-core Superman fan and I like Smallville a lot. The producers basically started with the characters in a modern setting and went from there. Sure they have changed things like the fact that Green-K affects humans but so far this year they have not used Kryptonite very much at all.

18. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

19. Jeff Kleist

My point is that they took Superman and tried to fit him into the Buffy mold. Not the "monster of the week" but the entire character dynamic. The "scooby gang" etc.

Crisis was needed because DC's continuity was in such a mess because they didn't keep careful watch on the characters like they should have, contridicting themselves and all kinds of goofy shit (Rainbow of Kryptonite anyone?)

When I see an adaption of something, I expect it verbatim, I expect it to be as little changed as humanly possible. The X-Men costumes I can live with, because I've seen the screen tests. They really did look stupid on actual people.

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor