What's new

WB Archives Release # Guestimate? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

Since WB Archives started with about two hundred releases about a year ago, I'm guessing there's around six hundred titles/tv shows available now. How many do you think might be available by the same time next year?

It's a pity other companies (Fox, Universal, Disney, etc) don't do similar.

James

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Any opinions on why other studios; Fox, Paramount, Disney, etc, are slow to get their own BOD departments started?

There are so many other tv-movies I really want to see out one way or another.

James

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The studios need to find a better way to accomodate a large episode count onto DVD-Rs and release MOD season sets.

Warner's and Sony have plenty of stalled shows they could market this way.

I would buy Maude, One Day at a Time, Police Woman, Mary Hartman..., The Nanny, Charlie's Angels, Hazel, Mama's Family, It's a Living, Alice, Eight is Enough and Murphy Brown if they'd hurry and get them all out.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Kasey

The studios need to find a better way to accomodate a large episode count onto DVD-Rs and release MOD season sets.

Warner's and Sony have plenty of stalled shows they could market this way.

I would buy Maude, One Day at a Time, Police Woman, Mary Hartman..., The Nanny, Charlie's Angels, Hazel, Mama's Family, It's a Living, Alice, Eight is Enough and Murphy Brown if they'd hurry and get them all out.

I think they need to fix the licensing issue first before they look at adding more shows. I am very frustrated with WB and the in ability to resolve the license issue so MOD is availble to a wider market.

Since, i am not able to buy WB MOD dvds will force me to look at other sets for collection.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, the Facebook guy now says that "Hawkins" (1973-74; Jimmy Stewart) is a "sure go" for 2011. That makes at least five series they have said yes too, joining "The FBI", "The Gallant Men", "The Lieutenant" and "Tarzan".

I think what they're going to put out is more than going to compensate for any slowdown from the other studios.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
So far, all it is is a lot of talk coming from an anonymous poster. We don't even know who this person is and whether or not he even works for the company. As with most of these boastful posts, I'll guardedly optimistic but I'll believe these things when I see them. I've also been told of other series in the works as well, such as Courtship of Eddie's Father and Please Don't Eat the Daisies. And I heard Girl from UNCLE a half year ago. I had been told about The Lieutenant almost 10 months ago but the latest word I got is that its been delayed because they don't have any of the music cue sheets and they are having a hard time clearing the music on it. This could wind up being the problem on a lot of these series, not the least of which might be Hawaiian Eye, which had Connie Stevens doing a number or two in every episode. Also, don't forget that the MGM shows have changed hands so many times that its hard to track things back. They were bought by Turner and then in turn bought by Warner so its unlikely anyone there knows much about some of the details and contracts on many of these series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I received an email from DeepDiscount and did a search on their site and it appears that they are offering WB archives ordering option through them. So, there is hope for us in Canada, if you want WB archives. The only problem is that they are little more expensive and it will take 10-20 days to arrive. I may look at this option next year when more HB's cartoon are released, especially speed buggy.

Regards,

Paul Young

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Kasey

The studios need to find a better way to accomodate a large episode count onto DVD-Rs

I strongly disagree. That would mean more compression (or dual layer DVD-Rs). Releasing this stuff onto -R media is enough of a compromise as it is. I certainly wouldn't want any additional compression just to squeeze more episodes onto fewer discs, and since dual layer discs cost so much more than standard -Rs, I don't see them going that way.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock

So far, all it is is a lot of talk coming from an anonymous poster. We don't even know who this person is and whether or not he even works for the company. As with most of these boastful posts, I'll guardedly optimistic but I'll believe these things when I see them.

I completely agree. All this talk from the anonymous "Warner Archive" Facebook person sounds a bit too good to be true. Until I start seeing all these sets up for pre-order, I'll be guarded in my enthusiasm as well.

Gary "just look at the intial pricing for the Cheyenne set - if those are the price points for all these series then I won't be buying many" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I agree we need to be a bit tempered until it becomes official, but I think a little common sense should trump the cynicism I'm getting from these last couple posts which seems to suggest we should regard the possiblity of this as all hot air being done to string people along. Is there any evidence this person has posted in regard to movie title releases from Warner Archive that have proved *not* to be true? Plus, there's been candor in admitting that some titles ("Hank") are not exactly high on the priority list. While I'm sure he's not the person who has final say on the scheduling I think he's passing along information as it accurately stands within their decision-making process and in light of the high volume of movie titles that Warner Archive has put out, I don't think it's stretching credibility to presume that about six or seven TV show titles (which is what it amounts to at this point-The FBI, Tarzan, Gallant Men, The Lieutenant, Hawkins are the only ones I can remember being specifically *named*) would be well into the pipeline in the same way that a movie title is in the "remastering" phase that won't come out until next year.

Caution is all well and good, but cynicism in the worst way IMO is just the flip-side of being too Pollyannish.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Caution is all well and good, but cynicism in the worst way IMO is just the flip-side of being too Pollyannish.

I certainly wasn't trying to come off as cynical about the Facebook poster. I'm not saying the guy/girl is just blurting off lies just to keep people coming back for more. I'm just wondering how much of this material is really going to be "coming soon", that's all. If it happens, great. But I'm not getting my hopes up just yet until I see some more tangible evidence to back up what's being said on the Facebook page.

Gary "I don't think that's being anti-Pollyannish" O.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
it would be nice if universal went the MOD route. I want to see more Kojak on dvd.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Originally Posted by kingfish

it would be nice if universal went the MOD route. I want to see more Kojak on dvd.

To be honest I prefer the direction Universal seem to be taking with their tv shows - which is licencing them to other companies. Series like 'It Takes a Thief'. 'McCloud', 'McMillan & Wife', 'Ellery Queen', 'Simon & Simon', 'Dragnet' etc are all being released in the US and overseas (Australia) by EOne, Madman, Shout etc.. Even 'Kojak' seasons 2 and 3 have been released in the United Kingdom , although it seems picture quality is not so good on these Kojak sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks