What's new

WB announces new Bogart Collection (1 Viewer)

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Yes the extras look quite good here for titles this old, I might be tempted. I hope this is a sign of things to come with the Cagney, Flynn and Marx Brothers sets promised for next year (hopefully they'll be even better!).

These films are good and for any ordinary actor they would be career highlights but not for Bogart whose resume includes The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, The Big Sleep, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The African Queen (available in Region 2 but sadly not 1, probably the only essential Bogart title missing)all among the very greatest American movies.

There a few other Bogarts waiting in the vaults to be sure including The Petrified Forest and his films with Cagney but hopefully the rest can wait while Warner starts helping other stars from their MGM,Warner and RKO catalogs catch up in terms of representation on DVD.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Except for the Bogart Collection banner at the top, I would guess this is not the final cover art. WB has been very good lately about using the original poster art. It should look something like this:

I'm guessing DVD Empire is using the old VHS art, because that's the style they used for their most recent Bogart releases (well, when I was buying VHS tapes in '98 or so). I never was able to find a non-colorized High Sierra, so I don't know if that was the VHS or not.

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
Looking forward to To Have and Have Not. That's the only one I've seen of the above. I've got Dark Passage taped from TCM, and I plan on watching that one this week. High Sierra and Across the Pacific are back to back tomorrow night, too, so it may be a Bogie-filled week for me.

Being a big Huston fan, I'm bewildered that neither The Asphalt Jungle nor Night of the Iguana won that AOL survey for future WB DVD releases. Does anyone else feel saddened by this?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Of these four titles I've seen They Drive By Night and Dark Passage, both of which I liked quite a bit. From what I'm reading here, I've come to the conclusion that I want the whole set...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think you will, Lars. I love the two movies you've seen, but I think most would say the other two are even better (particularly To Have and Have Not).

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
As to the AOL survey, none of the films for which I voted were chosen, but ... que sera sera. A bit of very good news is the reported inclusion of Rouben Mamoulian's 1931 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (starring Fredric March) with Victor Fleming's 1941 remake (I've seen both, and not only prefer the '31, but consider March's work to be among the ... oh, twenty or so finest performances I've ever seen, primarily for the extraordinary physical range and yet, at the same time, both physical and emotional precision he achieves in presenting the two personas, something no other actor -- from John Barrymore to John Malkovich -- has managed for the character on film).

Others may feel differently, of course. :) But I'm thrilled at the reported inclusion of the '31.

Back on topic, The Bogart Collection looks to be a great series of discs -- I only wish a boxed set were scheduled, perhaps with a small discount and some additional bonus, as per the Warner Legends set. Still, the planned supplements on three of these discs look to be terrific (Lux Radio broadcasts always get a very enthusiastic :emoji_thumbsup: from this classic radio fan, hopefully with original ads intact, so the inclusion of one on To Have and Have Not is grand news indeed), and the films themselves are big winners (I love Drive by Night -- or maybe it's just that I love actress/director Ida Lupino, here in the former role -- but To Have and Have Not seems the standout of the bunch; it's been too many years since I last saw Dark Passage to comment on it, but I've never much liked High Sierra, why I'm unsure; I generally love John Huston movies. Ah well, one way or another, all will undoubtedly prove great buys).

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Back on topic, The Bogart Collection looks to be a great series of discs -- I only wish a boxed set were scheduled, perhaps with a small discount and some additional bonus, as per the Warner Legends set.
Seconded; in fact, when this was first announced I thought it was a box set. Ho-hum...

Maybe somewhere down the line (after I've bought them all individually no doubt!)

---
So many films, so little time...

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
Hope this isn't correct:

Just in from Warner Home Video is their November lineup of new catalog announcements. First up on November 4th are a quartet of Bogart classics. Dark Passage, To Have and To Have Not, They Drive by Night and High Sierra are all presented in 1.37:1 full screen and Dolby Digital mono, and the only extras are trailers. Retail is $19.95 each.

The news (09/02/03) are from www.dvdfile.com

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DVDFile got it wrong. It's been confirmed by a few other sources that there would be cartoons and featurettes.

Bacall To Arms will be on To Have and Have Not.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I would like to see "Passage to Marseille" included in the Bogey releases. Love that film.

And "The Torrid Zone" included in the Cagney releases.

And I'm still keeping the faith on all the lesser known Stewart movies (No Highway in the Sky, Call Northside 777, The Mortal Storm etc.) and the vast catalog of Film Noir flicks still not on DVD.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I'd absolutely buy "The Spirit of St. Louis." But I don't think that's a film that we'll have to beg for. I would be surprised if we don't see it on DVD in '04. The ones that I mentioned are a little lower on the totem pole I think. I would be suprised to them on DVD.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
These titles are only available seperately, right? There's not going to a boxed set of them. Just want to be sure.

Great films, all of them - I can't wait!

"Humph Bo, he's fab!" - John Lennon during Rubber Soul sessions. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks