What's new

WB and UPN to merge into one network (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
"water closet" is often directly equivalent to "toilet", or perhaps more specifically, a flush toilet.

I imagine "The WC" was on the short list until it got vetted.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Someone should seize this opportunity to create a new network for the stations that will get shafted in this deal. If I could start my own network I would advertise it as "The Quality Network", taking more chances on shows with artistic and/or educational merit without regard to ratings, which aren't really accurate anyways. More importantly, I would present everything with RESPECT for the audience, meaning NO ONSCREEN LOGOS DURING SHOWS, no time-compression or cutting for time, NO ONSCREEN LOGOS DURING SHOWS, no pop-up promos on shows, NO ONSCREEN LOGOS DURING SHOWS, fewer and shorter commercial breaks allowing at least 50 minutes of actual programming per hour and arranged to work within the framework of the show to be as unintrusive as possible to make viewers actually watch them instead of switch channels, NO ONSCREEN LOGOS DURING SHOWS, and first and foremost, no onscreen logos during the shows. :)

To the public I would promote an "image" of being the network that respects its viewers by not doing the stupid things that the other networks do and having better-quality programs. To advertisers, I would push the fact that they're advertising to a "higher-class clientele" than the other networks and while their commercials might not be seen by as many viewers, those who do see them are more likely to actually buy their products. I would encourage them to produce commercials in high-definition that both look and sound good, and at least make an effort not to show the exact same commercial more than one time per hour.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I like your idea Jesse.
My guess is these "Quality" shows would last more than 3 weeks like on a regular network?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think it's really exciting that for the first time in a while a majority of the country will have an independent network in their area. Best case scenerio, we'll see a resurgence of local programming. Worst case scenerio, 90% of them will close shop.
It really sucks that this happens to UPN 38 (or whatever it's call now) just as the Sox are about to go cable-exclusive. Talk about shitty timing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

A network devoted entirely to Punky Brewster's dad (whose name was Henry Warnimont)? Sure I'm for it! :D

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Eddy-C,

I'm really not sure how strong independent stations with syndicated programs can last nowadays. People are forgetting that the major media companies that used to sell TV programs to first-run syndication are now essentially saving it for their own cable channels.

Will it end up being a situation where the independent stations essentially become outlets for nothing but infomercials? :rolleyes

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, we can go back to the days of some cool niche-type syndicated shows. Shows like Star Trek:TNG, Babylon 5, Hercules all had their runs in syndication. And I am sure if most had to be on a network. They would have been cancelled earlier than they might have been on a syndicated network.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So was it ever announced what CW stands for? CBS Warner is kind of weird, as if there's two CBS's.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
yeah, I wasn't sure if it would be Columbia Warner or CBS Warner... which I guess would make it Columbia Broadcasting System Warner, sorta.

I'm just going to call it The CBS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks