Ways to save the Post Office money

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, May 9, 2002.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

It was announced that effective July 1, postal rates are going up an average of over 7%, including an increase of 13% for Priority Mail.

I'm sure most of you have read about the PO's financial woes of the last couple of years, during which it has lost billions of dollars. It's a little perplexing how they lost so much soon, as they were hugely profitable (billions per year) just a few years ago. E-mail, often used an an excuse, was already in full swing during the profitable years, and the explosion of eBay vastly increased the number of small packages shipped. But for some reason the PO went from a great business to a terrible business overnight. And like the airlines' plight, the PO's problems were in evidence before Sept. 11.

Wouldn't it make more sense to look at cutting costs instead of raising rates? My solution: cut out one day of delivery (or more). It wouldn't bother me at all if Saturday (or, say, Wednesday) service were eliminated. Or, reduce door-to-door delivery and make people pick up their mail from a central location. I think raising rates will probably accelerate the switch to better alternatives and leave the PO in even worse shape.

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    The USPS loses dollars by the billions because they can afford to. They don't operate by the same rules as a private company that must balance their books, worst case for them is increased rates or better yet subsidies from the federal government to keep them afloat. My solution is to cut off all federal aid and make them play by the rules of a free market. If that means doubling the price of stamps and cutting back residintal delivery to once per week then so be it. As long as the USPS is allowed to spend money like it's free then the books will never balance.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, and it's hard to muster much sympathy for a bloated federal bureaucracy that doesn't work all that well--the same one that delivered a mangled package to me yesterday. Luckily, the DVD and its keepcase were intact (even though the shipping carton looked as if it had been run through a paper shredder).

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If they're going to raise rates, they should raise the bulk/junk mail rates, not the rates we pay that keep going up every other year as it is...

KJP

5. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

6. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Fire all the letter carriers and give the mail to the Mormons or the Seventh Day Adventists because they will be coming by anyways. [​IMG]

7. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

E-mail, often used an an excuse, was already in full swing during the profitable years, and the explosion of eBay vastly increased the number of small packages shipped.

Email isn't really an excuse. That presumes that most folks were sending regular letters back and forth anyway, which hasn't been the case for many folks for a long time (with the exception of birthday cards/etc).

Actually I think the real problem is that so many companies now offer ways to pay bills online so that a letter never has to be mailed in the first place. I haven't send anything via standard mail in over a year, because all my bills are either automatically credited, or I can authorize payment online.

As for ebay... that is only a small drop in the bucket compared to normal mail order shipping. And I rarely use the USPS when I send something out.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Carl Johnson

I agree whole heartedly. What ever happened to a free marketplace where only the strong survive. What if the USPS went belly up. Guess what....there would be another company taking its place pretty quick. Look at Napster - although not a great example. But here is a product that alot of people used. When that product wasn't successful it went belly up. Now look at how many networks replaced it within months. The same thing would happen to the postal system. Another company would come that was streamlined, take it's place and make billions.

Just my 2 cents.

9. brian a

brian a Second Unit

What's preventing someone from stepping in and starting to mirror the function of the USPS?

10. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Brian,

I believe there is a goverment regulation preventing direct competition with the USPS. In short, they're an approved monopoly. UPS and FedEx specialize in packages, so they're not really a direct competitor.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

12. Bill Balcziak

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

15. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Very well said RobertR

"(failures in most areas that have tried, notably California where prices have been incredible)."

Blame that one on thier local gov't not deregulation!!!!!!!!

You need to do some reading.

16. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

17. Bill Balcziak

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

19. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Easy there, guys. We're arguing about the postal service of all things? There are much worthier subjects to argue about! [​IMG]

20. Bill Balcziak