What's new

Ways to fight soreness?? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
I went bouldering Saturday and my forearms are still so incredibly sore. I think I could fill a 2 liter bottle full of lactic acid right now. I can barely do the most simplest of tasks nowadays. I want to go climb tomorrow so is there anyway to decrease the suffering?? Thanks a million.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Well, kind of.

This may sound like the last thing you want to do, but you need to get the lactic acid out of your muscles. So, you need to loosen it up. If you don't have a significant other around, take a hot bath. This will loosen your muscles up a bit. If you do have a SO around, after your bath, have your SO give you a full massage to the sore area. Real penetrating massages can loosen up the lactic acid and may speed the recovery period.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The soreness isnt from lactic acid...
The soreness is from microscopic tears in your muscle fibres. Believe it or not, soreness is a good sign, it means you're building more muscle. When you tear muscle fibres, your body replaces them by growing more muscle fibres. More muscle fibres = bigger muscles, which i heard is good with the ladies... :)

Janna S

Second Unit
Nick - ladies mostly like more muscles on their men if the muscles are between the

ears.

What did you think I was going to say?

PatrickM

Screenwriter
If you have a Chinatown near you, you should try one of their pharmacies to see if you can get medicated plasters. They smell like heavy ointment and are basically fabric bandages on one side and the medicated, sticky, dark brown medication on the other. I only know what its called in Chinese so I can't really translate it but its for sore muscles.

Put one of these things on over night and you will not have sore muscles the next morning I guarantee it. We had a couple of rolls of these things in our medical kit for softball. On those long tournament weekends where you play 5 or 6 games, these things are God send. It takes as little as two hours for them to work sometimes.

Pat

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Get some Ben Gay and make sure to rub some on the *little guy?

*This is in the case of others

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think that "Tiger Balm" stuff is supposed to be like a muscle relaxant.. but I've also heard that anything high in Potassium is supposed to help prevent or relieve the lactic acid buildup in one's muscles, is that right? Bananas, which are high in potassium seem to be everywhere in the bike rides that I do, plus they are easier to eat at rest stops anyway. :)
Jay

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Has anyone tried "Super Blue Stuff?" I see commercials for it all the time. It's supposed to take away 99% of all pains in under 2 minutes... yeah, right.

Did I just see Ron Popiel poke his head around the corner?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I would get a bottle of Jack Daniels. You won't feel any soreness after your done with the bottle.

DennisHP

Second Unit
Eat a couple bananas for extra potassium and take some glucosamine sulphate. The potassium will help the muscles and the glucosamine will help the joint tissue. Then go bouldering again... whatever that is.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Switch hands.
DOH! I was waiting for that one...LMAO, but I wasn't going to say it.

Tiger balm works, about the same or better than Ben Gay or IcyHot.

The pain is from the tears in the muscle, but the lactic acid is still a problem, and will cause fatigue. Lots of water is one of the best things I can think of.

Take acetaminophen before exerting, it gets more oxygen to the body and helps keep the lactic acid down a bit. Drink a bit of fluid (try Gatorade, has potassium) before and stretch before also, helps a lot. Ibuprofen helps afterwards. When I broke my leg, I was told that Ibuprofen helps keep scarring down on damaged muscle tissue, making it heal faster.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Bouldering is kind of like free soloing or free climbing (aka rock climbing to the masses) boulders ... Something that is a good workout and can be very technical without the added overhead of using protection and/or serious climbing gear...

Right?

Jay

Van Patton

Second Unit
yep........it's also one of the hardest things I've ever done. Running two miles is easier for me than spending 15 minutes climbing with no breaks.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Since you're sore anyway maybe it's a good time to experiment with speaker placement. Schlepp that subwoofer around the room for a half hour or so, it'll work wonders:D

Van Patton

Second Unit
Well I try to run for a good 10-15 minutes at least three times a week and I did that last night. Thanks for the advice so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maindude