Ways to cook Burgers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ferguson, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

This might sound a little weird or gross but here goes. When I went on a trip to Florida I went to Universal Studios theme park or whatever it is. I went to the NBA resturant and all the others and when I ordered a burger from those joints, they asked how I wanted it cooked. Like my steak, I asked for Medium Rare. Now, I can not find a place in Canada that offers to cook burgers like this, they just cook them. They say that it is a major health risk. Are they using different Meat in the states or what is the deal? Where can I find a place that will cook the burgers the way I like them?
    Thank You

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm, sounds like you need to read "Fast Food Nation" for the whole story. [​IMG]
    Yes...it IS a major health risk to eat improperly cooked hamburger meat. And no, Canada's meat isn't much different than the U.S., aside from more stringent health regulations (ie. Canada actually has them).

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Chad, if you go to a locally owned restaurant (not a chain) you should be able to get your burger cooked however you want. Most chain type places have policies stating all beef must be well done to avoid food poisoning as well as ptential lawsuits. Beef in the US is not any different then Canada.

The main reason for cooking all burgers well done is E.coli. When the cows are slaughtered crap from the intestines containing E.coli can get on meat which is then mixed with the beef when it is ground. Steaks are not as risky beacuse the bacteria stays on the outside of the muscle, and is killed when cooked from the heat.

J

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

There are a lot of restaurants that used to ask how you wanted it done, but now most of them do it well unless you specifically ask for it differently. Or if you say rare or medium rare they will tell you that it will be pink throughout etc and ask if thats what you really want.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

around here they'll ask how you want it, and they'll cook it right down to red and cool in the middle if that's what you want. For me, hamburger gets cooked well done. Most places I'd order a steak rare, around here med. rare is about right, rare tends to be cool in the middle up here on steaks too [​IMG]

7. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess it's just a matter of asking for it. Me personally, I'm not too scared about the whole food poisen thing but, that could all change after haing a bad case of it. On kind of a side note, isn't there a meal that is just raw ground beef or something? For some reason I thought I saw it on a Mr. Bean episode or something.[​IMG] As fort McDonalds, they have no reason to worry, I would be surprised if there was actually an real beef in those things period.
    Thanks

8. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Max, "Fast Food Nation" is indeed an astounding book! I highly recommend it to everyone.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chad, I have been in a number of restaurants in the US that will not prepare beef rare or medium rare due to health risks. I never try to order beef cooked that way, but I have been with friends who have had their requests for beef cooked medium rare denied. I like beef cooked well done. Aside from the taste, I am just not a fan of E. coli, especially E. coli O157:H7. That's the bad one.

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin said:

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Man, how do you USians let this happen? ConAgra Beef Full of Crap - Again!
    Looks like the same plant described in Fast Food Nation...YUCK!