Way to use my EQ question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan Castillo, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Sorry if this is a question better asked in the beginners section, please move if necessary.

Before purchasing my Pioneer VSX-D711 DD, DTS reciever, I had a 12 band EQ in line with my stereo to tailor the sound to my liking. Since getting the new reciever, I have found out, through this forum, that it is not necessary, and in fact cant be used with the digital audio formats that I prefer to listen to with my movies. However I really hate having it sit aside and not get used, and since it is really a low end EQ, its not like its worth selling it. According to the SVS site, an eQ can be used in between the sub-out of the reciever and the amp pushing the sub driver.
    Question is, for my humble setup, will this work for me. Will it hinder or adversely affect the sub out crossover point? The ones they sell are obviously higher end product, one of which is a parametric type. Any feedback, or questions about my setup are appreciated. I would like to put it to use if at all possible without making the sound worse. Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You can try it, Juan, but there’s a good chance it will not work.

The problem is that equalizers of this type were designed for connection to a tape monitor loop, where there is a fixed-level signal. Pre-amp signals (like a sub send) vary greatly according to signal intensity, low frequency content, and the volume control setting. Thus they can (and often do) generate much hotter signals than what passes through a tape monitor loop, especially at the levels people like to operate their systems for movies. The result: The equalizer’s inputs can be overloaded and cause very audible and very nasty distortion.

The other problem is that this EQ only has two or three bands affecting the range the sub would operate in. This might be sufficient to do some general “tone control” –type adjustments, but it is not enough bands to address room issues.

In addition, typically these equalizers have one-octave, variable Q filters. Filters like this affect a very broad range when boost or cut – two octaves minimum. So when you adjust a band to address a specific problem you end up also affecting many frequencies where there is no problem. So it’s possible to solve one response problem and create others at the same time.

Of course, Juan, this is all “politically correct” theory, in a manner of speaking. Since you already have the equalizer, there’s no reason not to try it and see if you can do something good with it.

Alternately: In their “heyday” people primarily used these equalizers as a sophisticated tone control for music. You could still do this by connecting it in-line between your CD player and receiver. Or if your receiver has an old-style tape monitor loop you could go ahead and connect it there and use it for CDs and FM radio. Just remember to switch out the tape monitor for video sources.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Juan Castillo

Ah Wayne. I was hoping someone like you would answer. I tried putting it between my CD player, heard distortion, removed it and its been sitting docile ever since. Of course, having the new reciever(a new toy), I tried too much too soon. I neatly wired everything in place, only to read the manual fully later on, to find that the reciever has a direct setting for CD's that I should have used instead of one of the audio filters that DPLII gives you. In other words it passes an untouched signal to the speakers. What a joke. So, I decided not to undo my neat wire arrangement until I read about the other use I may be able to take advantage of. Unfortunately, no tape loop on this new reciever, but like you say, whats the harm in trying. Thanks for answering with this bit of info. I owe you lots already.

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

I used to have an inexpensive 12-band EQ myself. It had one of those displays of dancing LEDs supposedly related to each of the bands (spectrum analyzer type of thing). It sounded like crap in my system, but I did sort of hook it up to the monitor out jack of my receiver at the time--thus allowing those silly lights to bounce around without distorting the sound. I remember it really impressed a couple of lady friends. Which might say something about the quality of company I was keeping at the time. . . [​IMG]
    Anyway. . .

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now that's a story for the after hours segment...LOL!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Great story, Mike! [​IMG]
    Do you remember what kind of equalizer it was? I’d be curious to know. I’ve been trying to figure out at what price point these EQs become decent (see below) – there seems to always be someone asking about using one.
    Juan,
    Thanks for the kind words.

7. Juan Castillo

Yeah Wayne, it was the DPLII setting I had it on. Actually, I hooked everything up the the reciever, including the EQ(Technics SH-GE50)before I even read one line in the user manual. Like I said in my previous post, After I removed it, and tidyed up my wires, did I read about the source direct mode. I tried it again there, and it works fine. Frankly out of the limited use my cd player has gotten since the new reciever came home, I haven't found much about DPLII that I like. The 5 channel stereo is the only thing I can listen to, because it fills the room more at low volumes than just the mains. I live in an apartment [​IMG].
    I have not liked what I have heard of the DPLII movie settings either. DD or DTS sounds better to me. I am very limited on budget, and even more on SPL, because of my living arrangement, and I find it hard to keep reading up on more stuff I can try that I really can't take advantage of. Irregardless, thanks again , I will have to give it a try with the Sub later on.