Way to test speaker wire point A to B?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EricTownsend, Jul 18, 2005.

1. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

OK,
    The HT has met with numerous delays & now another possible delay... During drywalling, my contractor was going to leave a section of my speaker wires uncovered since they are labled in that location. Well, he covered them up! So, now I have 14 pairs of cables with no labels at the rack end. Does anyone make a device to test speaker cables, kind of like a network cable tester? If not, or if too expensive, I will just have the contractor cut the drywall and repair later.
    Thanks!

2. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

If you have a meter you can wire the + and - of one pair at a time and test for continuity. Or, you can get a speaker, wire it up and using a 9v battery touch them to the + and - and you'll hear a pop at the speaker.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Use an AA battery. Works just the same at a much lower voltage. Don't go crazy with this little tip either, it's not that great for your speakers, but it will work in a pinch.

4. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

OK, thanks for the tip(s)!

5. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

A third option if you don't have the speakers hooked to the other end of the wire is to use a "toner" (telephone man tool). The easiest option is the battery trick mentioned above and I agree, use a 1.5v battery instead of 9v (or cordless drill battery, which is common with professional installers).

6. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Cordless drill battery? Those now a days are 12v all the way up to 24v. I agree that a 1.5v might be a better choice but with a 9v, as long as you're not holding the wires to the battery and just sort of holding one on one terminal and just momentarily touching the other terminal in a scraping motion, there shouldn't be any issues.

7. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Cordless drill batteries do range from 7.6v to 24v with 12-18v seeming most popular. The reason I mentioned the cordless drill batteries is that it's popular with professional installers since you always have this tool with you, nearby when doing the work, and easy to get out of the tool...it's also potentially damaging to the speakers BUT what does an installer care since it's not his stuff and will still be working fine when he's done with the install. I don't recommend using a drill battery but it's a common practice in home and car installation.