Way To Go MGM!!!!! Charlie Chan

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tom Mantan D., Mar 4, 2004.

1. Tom Mantan D.

Kudos to MGM for having the guts to issue a 6 Charlie Chan dvd boxset in July (news courtesy of dvddrive-in site) Maybe Fox will have to eat their "losing their shirt" words about releasing their restored Chans. What a ludicrous statement, oh well, Fox is missing out on earning a return on their restoration efforts. Bravo to MGM!

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I second the above statement. MGM is to be congratulated on having not only good business sense but also basic common sense knowing that releasing these is a good idea. I'm glad MGM is smart enough to capitalize on the resurgence of the Chan character. The controversies of the past year elevated Chan awareness to its highest level in quite some time.

I've already sent MGM an e-mail thanking them for doing this.

MPI, which sold 200,000 units of the first two batches of restored Sherlock Holmes films, has already reaped the benefits of tapping into the classic mystery series market.

Major studios that are leaving their products in the vault are only hurting their profits and their credibility. Barrie Maxwell's excellent article over at the Digital Bits last month is an excellent primer to this topic.

Truer words were never spoken when he said "The lack of Charlie Chan on DVD is a sore point." I'm glad MGM is showing leadership by taking the first steps to rectifying this.

Steve

3. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I also would like to see the Charlie Chan movies from FOX come out on DVD. I remembered seeing Charlie Chan movies on American Movie classics years ago. The MGM box set looks like something I would want to buy.

Be Seeing you,
    David Blackwell

4. Tom Mantan D.

It has been NOW officially announced, Charlie Chan will arrive to dvd in July!! I would love to hear a response from Fox on this one, if Peter Staddon at Fox is so worried about losing his shirt, WHY is MGM releasing the films?? MGM seems pretty successful to me, they can't be that dumb? I guarantee these old gems will outsell some of the "marketable" entries put out by Fox and in a way that will be what they call poetic justice!

Tom D.

5. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    MGM is to be given major kudos for releasing the Chan set at a reasonable price. This set will probably be available for pre-order for around $45-$48 which is approximately $8 per film. Excellent considering I paid almost $15-$20 each for the VHS.

Hopefully the sales of this set will spur our friends at Warners to release the 11 Monogram Chans that they own.

Steve