Way to get a good deal at Target:

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Kenneth Harden, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

OK, the rain checks they issue at Target are now coupons, for any like items. A raincheck for a DVD is good for ANY DVD (as in, if the difference between the normal price and sale price was 35%, you would get 35% off ANY DVD), a raincheck for a TV is good on ANY TV.

Do this:

Find a item that is on sale, but not in stock, and get a rain check. Then, you can basically turn around and use it as a coupon off any DVD.

There is no catch, seems kinda wierd, but it DOES wrok. Imagine getting 40% off some of the $50-80 DVD sets. It could be very nice.

2. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    Actually, there is a catch. The substitute item must be the same or similarly priced(within $10) to be able to use the raincheck. You also can't use the raincheck on any sale items, they must be regular priced. Straight from my store manager and my Electronics team lead.

3. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

The same or similarly priced "policy" is a total YMMV thing used by some store managers to prevent people from using these rainchecks to get a big discount off a much more expensive item in the same category. The problem is, the raincheck says no such thing; in fact, the raincheck I'm holding for Madden 2004 for PC states specifically that I can substitute ANY item in the same category and receive the SAME DISCOUNT (63%, stated explicitly) as shown for Madden. No way their little variation on the raincheck policy is enforceable. Target needs to fire whoever came up with that ridiculous raincheck language and fix it, not try to prevent customers from doing exactly what it says we can.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

RudyN:

At my store, this guy had a coupon for 2 of the REALLY cheap HTIB systems (the $88 ones with no DVD), and the STL allowed him to get two of the $300 Sony's for about $170 each.

I guess our store does not enforce it. However, the raincheck does NOT list the conditions you mentioned, just the fact you can substitute a like item (DVD for DVD, console game for console game, etc.) reguardless of price - and what is printed on the rain check is what we follow, because thats what the customer (guest...) see's and follows.