What's new

3D way back in the 50's and 60's..... (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
.....they should have made THIS ISLAND EARTH, WAR OF THE WORLDS and FIRST MEN IN THE MOON in 3D. At least then I could complain that they are still not released on blu ray in 3D....oh.....I guess I still can!!...They are not even release on blu ray at the moment!!...May be they will when they get their 3D conversion....and pigs fly. This would be such a great dreary Saturday triple feature. Ah...well got a bit of a chance to vent today.... :)

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It's tempting to want to see these in 3D (and I for one, would definitely watch them) but if the movie wasn't originally designed for 3D the results might not as good as one hoped for.
The conversions of Dr. No, Predator, Bladerunner, Top Gun and The Final Countdown are somewhat underwhelming, even allowing for some of them being homemade.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
bob kaplan said:
.....they should have made THIS ISLAND EARTH, WAR OF THE WORLDS and FIRST MEN IN THE MOON in 3D. At least then I could complain that they are still not released on blu ray in 3D....oh.....I guess I still can!!...They are not even release on blu ray at the moment!!...

"First Men in the Moon" IS being released on Blu with DTS 5.1 audio. And there's even a commentary track! But there are a limited amount of copies available so you'd better hurry.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28647/FIRST-MEN-IN-THE-MOON-1964-LIMIT-3-COPIES-PER-CUSTOMER!/

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Those would've been cool to see in 3D. When I got interested in 3D of the era, my assumption was that it would've been movies like that which would've benefited from the technique. The revelation for me was that most of them seem to have been westerns.

I think 3-D sci-fi and fantasy films would've been cool, especially some of those being made by George Pal, Disney, and Harryhausen at the time. I think the reality is that studios avoided using 3-D on films requiring opticals and special effects. The technical challenges would've been insurmountable.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I'm amazed no one's done a conversion of "Forbidden Planet" yet. Done well, that would definitely be worth a look.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
George Pal came very close to doing CONQUEST OF SPACE in 3-D but declining interest in the boxoffice (this was in the fall of 1953 before the short-lived revival) killed it.

I wonder what he would have thought of GRAVITY?

Conquest of Space.JPG

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bob Furmanek said:
George Pal came very close to doing CONQUEST OF SPACE in 3-D but declining interest in the boxoffice (this was in the fall of 1953 before the short-lived revival) killed it.

That could have been cool in 3D. It's not the greatest movie I've ever seen but I really like it anyway - I'd settle for a good old 2D Blu of that title.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Paramount and Famous Studios used their new technique to bring "objects out in the theater" quite effectively in BOO MOON.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
That would've been something to see. The weightlessness of space is one of those things that can be used to great effect in 3-D, and from that article, they seem to have been well aware of the potential for floating objects out of the screen.

The movie poster almost suggests a 3-D movie, with the font of the flying title being very reminiscent of 3-D posters of the era.

p2518_p_v7_aa.jpg

What might have been... I suppose it's just one of those coincidences that both of the 3-D cartoons Paramount released were space-centric.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Both 3-D cartoons were produced by Famous Studios in New York. When the west coast executives (and probably George Pal) saw what could be achieved on-screen, it inspired the plan for Pal's film to be done stereoscopically.

There is one shot in particular in BOO MOON that is stunning in widescreen 3-D. It shows Casper floating through outer space en route to the moon. In fact, it got applause when we showed our restoration at MoMA last November!

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
That's interesting, I wouldn't have thought stereoscopic cel animation was capable of those sort of 'wow' moments. Can't wait to check out Boo Moon.

I wonder how Conquest of Space director Byron Haskin felt about 3-D being abandoned for that film, given that he did manage to make a 3-D film some years later.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
Paramount and Famous Studios used their new technique to bring "objects out in the theater" quite effectively in BOO MOON.

Thats great news! When I saw Chicken Little or maybe it was Meet the Robinsons, the Disney short Working for Peanuts preceded it. Nothing came out of the screen and very little in depth. Same for the two feature films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks