Wavy Lines on the sides of JVC AV-32F703

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi I just recently purchased this T.V. and I love everything about it except for some wavy lines on about 1/4 of the way out on the right and left hand side of the picture. These are only visible when there is a constant one color background. For instance in Dances With Wovles when Kevin Costner has the solid blue sky behind him. This problem doesnt show itself much but can be distracting. I noticed it at Circuit City on the display models, both the 36" and the 32" but thought it was caused by the weird lighting setup they have there. So my question is, is this just a problem with this particular T.V. or with all flat screens? Is it correctable? Things I have already done to trouble shoot are moved my main speakers completely away from the set. Disconnected and tried one input source at a time. It was visible with both cable and my DVD connected with S-Video. This problem would not be a deal killer for me but if I could correct it would make me love my new T.V. that much more. Sorry for the long post and thank you to all who take the time to reply.

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Just based on the description of "wavy lines", it sounds like moire - which is a known problem on bigger tube tvs. Have you calibrated the set with Avia or VE? It may mask the problem since I believe the only real fix is to somehow "lower" the focus on the set which is a manual adjustment that a technician would need to do.

good luck,

--tom

3. Jason Bell

Thanks for replying Thomas. I tried calibrating the set with the Home Theatre Tune up Disk. It just has test patterns for Contrast, Brightness, Color and Sharpness. The settings were pretty close out of the box. Is there any one Control that you would recommend me try to mask this problem? Also is something that T.V. manufacturers would fix under a warranty or would I have to pay a calibrationist to do it? Thanks for your help.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jason, if you've calibrated Sharpness that's about the only one I can think of that may help. Usually sharpness is turned way up on these sets. I'd set it to 0 with the test pattern up there and set it just to the point where it looks focused and not blurry. It may be something that would be covered under warranty. They'd probably send a technician to your house to look at the problem. I'd do a search in this forum for 'moire' to read more about such problems.

good luck,

--tom

5. Jason Bell

Thanks again Thomas. I found some pictures of extactly what Moire is on KeohiHDTV, and you were right thats what I have. I'm glad its not a defect with my T.V. and is something that i can get someone ot come out and adjust. Keohi made it sound like it was a simple manual focus adjustment but you have to go inside the T.V. so I dont think I'll be attempting this myself[​IMG].

6. Brendan M.

Brendan M. Extra

I recently purchased this exact same set (AV-32F703). I had to exchange it for same due to crt defects on the first set, and got the replacement about a week ago. I have noticed this exact same moire problem on the new set...in exactly the same place described in this post (about 1/4 of the way in on both left and right of the screen)

I have read on keohi that it is a 30 second fix, but involves cracking open the set, which I am hesitant to do because I don't want to void the warrenty and I don't know what to adjust once the set is open.

I'm wondering if Jason (or anyone else) was ever able to get this issue resolved on their set? Was a technician able to fix the problem or did you have to do anything else? I don't want to have to exchange this set again, but I'm not sure if the service techs that Best Buy sends out would be competent enough to resolve this issue...or would I have to call JVC?

Please Help!