Waverace!! Sweet Game!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Cooper, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Mar 6, 2000
    I'm amazed no one has been talking about this one yet. I have been playing it a LOT lately and have really gotten into it. This is one incredibly fun and challenging game!

A lot of people have been complaining about the controls being too tough, but having actually raced Jet-ski's before, I can say the controls and the physics are spot on. Probably most people have been picking characters with high top speed, and loose control, which are the toughest to control.

I think the easiest to control is the purple chick, Ayumi Stewart. So far I have gotten second place overall on the expert circuit with her. Take some time to master the controls and this game will be a very rewarding game.

The challenge is very high. You have to be on top of your best game throughout the entire race. I can't tell you how many times i've blazed though the entire race, only to screw up 2ft from the finish line, and go from 1st to 8th in about 2 seconds. However, while the game is very challenging, it is still loads of fun. When I screw up, and have to start over, I immediately want to try again, rather than just giving up out of frustration.

The different weather conditions, and the mastering the shortcuts make replayability high. Unlike the shortcuts in the N64 version of the game, these ones are really risky. It's tough to pull off a lot of the shortcuts, so you really have to gamble on playing the safe route, or taking a risk to get a good lead.

Anyway, this is a great game! To those who gave up quickly, give it another chance. Once you spend some time with it and get good, it really is a rewarding and highly fun game!
  2. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

Apr 26, 1998

This is the only game I own for my Gamecube and I find myself playing it all the time. I get tired of hearing rookies complain about the controls when it's actually dead on.

I've also read reviews on how there are not enough courses. What the hell?! Almost every course has 3 variations, not to mention 5 different weather conditions which change the courses dramatically.

My roomate HATED this game at first, but now he's got his grubby hands on my cube and Wave Race every chance he gets.
  3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Jun 19, 1999
    You guys must not have seen the thread I posted back in October when I got my imported Gamecube. Wave Race was one of the two games that I purchased (the other was Luigi's Mansion). I pretty much agree with what you have already said. This game just rocks!
    Some say the the control is sluggish and unforgiving. I say it's deep and involved. You can't simply hold down the accelerator and turn. You have to your jet ski. You have to understand what will happen when you hit a wave while going around a tight turn. You have to know whether or not you should be pulling the nose of your craft up or pointing it downward. I don't jet ski myself, but I feel like this comes close to recreating the feel of the sport as closely as possible without getting wet.
    I agree that the game is very challenging as well. I have beaten the Expert Circuit a couple times, but that doesn't mean that I've perfected it. Far from it. I know very well what it's like to mess up on the last lap, only to find yourself bringing up the rear. It's very frustrating, but when it all comes together and you win a particularly nasty race, the sense of satisfaction is extremely gratifying.
    About the only thing I don't like about the game are the announcers. They got so annoying that I turned off the voice samples. It's better that way. All you'll hear then are the water splashing, the roar of the engines, and of course, that great in-game music.
    Oh, and if you can swing it, I highly recommend playing the game in 480p on a big TV. The game looks absolutely stunning in this mode. [​IMG]
  4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Dec 27, 2000
    Good to see more people like this game! I loved the first one on N64... my roommate and I use to just do time trials and try to beat each other records. I can honestly say that there are few people out there who could beat my time on Port Blue. [​IMG]
    Anyway, Gamecube version is phenmonial! I've waited 5 years for this game and it's well worth it! Too bad I don't have a roommate anymore, I love trying to beat each other's times.
    That gives me an idea... maybe we should start a Wave Race best lap time and course time thread! Right now my times aren't great, but if I see something to shoot for.... [​IMG]