Wave of the future: IEEE or DVI inputs??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a new rear-projection tv and it seems that many of the new models come with either IEEE inputs or DVI inputs. I have not found out which of these inputs is going to be the preferred standard for future digital inputs. Some say both should be fine.

Anyone heard which type of input is the best way to go in the future?

2. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

I suspect that DVI is going to be the standard for Video, though IEEE1394 (aka Firewire; aka I-Link) is the best bet for Audio. It would make sense to use 1394 for both, but it looks like such an "open" standard might upset the movie industry's desire to "protect" their movies from the "evil" consumers. Ah, sorry to rant. DVI has been used for Video much more than Firewire has so far, and I so for that reason I think it will be the primary display device connection in the future.

3. Dave Marx

Most of the Mitsubishi bigscreen tv's I have looked at do not have DVI, but IEEE 1394 instead. Should this affect my decision what to buy? Does it make sense to wait to see what the standard will be?

4. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I'm not sure what this news means to me. I bought a 53" Panasonic Widescreen HD-ready tv in August. Don't have a HDTV tuner, DVI, or Firewire.

6. Dave Marx

Patrick, thanks so much for that info. I definitely feel better about purchasing the Mitsu 65-inch set now. I am still a LITTLE hesitant, because so many companies have invested money into DVI, that I am not convinced they are going away. Someone on another message board say they suspect DVI will be the VIDEO input standard and Firewire will be the AUDIO input standard, although I can't see why this would be the case.

Patrick, how are the stretch modes on the 55-inch Mitsu you got? I am concerned how 4:3 images look on that set, because most shows are not in HD yet.

As for the dude whose set doesn't come with DVI or Firewire, I would make sure it is upgradeable, or take it back!!!!!!!!!!

7. Andrew Walbert

Andrew Walbert Stunt Coordinator

A lot of companies have been pushing DVI, and I will be pleasantly surprised if Firewire is really able to become standard. Still, it would be awefully nice to be able to replace the tangled web of RCAs that so many of us have with a handful of Firewire lines. But I'll believe it when I see it.

8. Dave Marx

Exactly. Nothing is written in stone yet, and these developments seem like they change every few months. Wasn't HD-VHS supposed to be a big deal way back, and in the end...it was DVD that took off? Anyway, the market is way too unpredictable right now for me to buy an HDTV. I think I'll wait for both the price to come down and for the companies and FCC to agree on a dominant standard.

9. Patrick TX

The stretch modes are fine by me, the ESPN ticker is perfect! I am REALLY pleased with the set, especially since it can be Service Menu calibrated via remote. ALL the big Manufacturers have agreed on Firewire, not DVI only. It's the MPAA that wants DVI, because they don't want YOU to be able to record HDTV programming. I can only imagine the flurry of class action lawsuits if the MPAA lobbies the Government to accept DVI ONLY. This is MAJOR news. All of these manufacturers united should tell you something. Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Hughes, RCA, Zenith, Hitachi, Panasonic, JVC, Philips, Pioneer, Runco, Samsung, Sharp, Thompson, Yamaha, & AMAZINGLY Sony. Not to mention ALL the big cable companies are on the same page. AOL Time Warner is a pretty powerful Company.
    http://www.ncta.com/pdf_files/CE-NCTAagreement.pdf

10. Dave Marx

Thanks for the info, Patrick. Did you have your Mitsu professionally calibrated? If I get one, I probably would. Any problems with red push? What stretch mode do you usually use for your 4:3 programming?

11. Dave Marx

12. Patrick TX

I'm using "standard", which seems to be the best one. As you know, the bigger the screen, the worse the stretch. That led me to a 55 instead of a 65. I watch 75% regular digital cable at this time. I am going to let the TV get broken in a while before I calibrate it. I have the Sound & Vision Tuneup DVD, as well as access to the Service Menu codes. These Mistu "Integrated" sets can be calibrated via remote, no problem. As far as the dreaded RED PUSH goes, my Mom's WS-55859 is BAD. This WS-55511 seems fine. I have no idea why the diference?

13. Dave Marx

Interesting stuff, Patrick. Did your Mom get her set calibrated or do a convergence? That may have something to do with it. Usually, the red push problem can be defeated with some tweaking...or so I hear.

Good to hear about the stretch modes. The only thing holding me up from getting the 65-inch Mitsu is the DVI vs. Firewire deal. But definitely, that is the set I am targetting. Now, I just can't wait for DirecTv to start more HD programming. Boy, are they moving slowly!

14. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Totally off-topic, but I love how every standards war (even one in which more than two standards are competing) gets related to Beta vs. VHS sooner rather than later. (The link from Dave's post has an example of this, thus prompting the tangent.)

Me

15. Patrick TX

It doesn't surprise me at all. That was one of the most famous "Electronics Wars" of all time. Sony is constantly doing this (not in this case). What shocks me is the DVI instead of I-Link (Firewire) on the Sony TV's. Some of the earlier Sony 16:9 sets had Firewire. I'm guessing Sony wanted DVI because they have such vested interest in Hollywood, with all their Studios. Interesting, because Sony was one of the early adopters of I-Link on PC's & Digicams. Sony reminds me of Apple, versus the rest of the world. Beta was the better format, but they got beat. SACD, Mini-Disc, Digital 8MM, Memory Stick, and whatever other proprietary formats they introduce.

16. Dave Marx

Agreed. The best format isn't always the format that wins. It all has to do with politics, the studios, big business, money and the FCC. We'll see how this plays out, but one thing is for sure: we, the consumer, are stuck in the middle of all this bickering and we are NOT the winners. We have to wait to see how this volatile situation pans out first.

This may be the most confusing time ever to purchase a bigscreen TV.