watts per channel?????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Sheldon-m, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

How much of the sound is routed to the surrounds? I have a Onkyo 601 and it is 85W a channel. In my setup I can hear them(surr) but they are not like the mains or the center.
    it is like they are only getting half the watts per channel?
    what can i do? did do something wrong. Should the same i be getting 85w out of my surr? thanks

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Did you set your system up with Avia/DVE/Sound & Vision. That is the best way to set things up.

Depending on which mode you are listening in and what you are listening to(DVD,Cd's) will have an effect on how much sound goes to the rears.

3. John S

John S Producer

Yes, please provide more information...

Like what sources are we talking about here?

You Fronts and Center should surely be getting more content than the surrounds, butthey should all be equally loud. Pans from behind to in front should be seemless, on DD/DTS DVD's.

Maybe give a specific source / title combo that you don't feel the surround is where it should be on.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

The idea in 5.1 discrete is that all 5 channels receive full power to each speaker. DPL was the only thing that sent sound at half the bandwith to the surrounds. DPLII, Logic 7 I believe changes that. If you think you surrounds are to low, then use the test tones on the receiver to measure the sound from each speaker. Also note the level of each speaker on the receiver if it's displayed.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Don't worry about watt numbers. There is usually never as much information sent to the rear channels on DVDs, therefore you will not hear as much coming from them. They will get as much power as the fronts if the DVD sends more information to them.

6. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

see thats the thing. i though that the receiver would send at least 50%to the fronts & 50% to the rears. i guess that is not the case. i just though since the speck say that there are 6 channels @ 85 watts. thats what it would produce.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Just because each channel gets the same amount of power doesn't mean it will get the same amount of sound.

Power is a function of your equipment. Sound is largely a function of the source material, and most movie soundtracks concentrate their sound in the front. In fact, the most active speaker is usually the front center.

M.

8. John S

John S Producer

That is what it will produce.....

But only when and if the surround sound audio engineer decides it should. Like on a Helicopter Fly over or something. Starts loud in the rears, pans to the fronts, then fades off as it gets further away.

The front soundstage (Fronts, and Centers) produce the most sound, because after all you are looking forward.

Go to Dolby's website, there is good detail there about how and why movies and surround sources are mixed the way they are.

9. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

And remember that the surrounds are just for effects. They aren't meant to receive the same sounds that are sent to the fronts.