What's new

Watts and Volume: H/K 310 vs 510---my results... (1 Viewer)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
sure prove the rule of needing to double the power to achieve a 3dB increase. My 510's (80x2, 70x5) are just 1.25-1.5dB higher at any (usable) volume level than my 310 (60x2, 50x5). Tested 70 through 90dB for reference levels and also tested random comparable volume settings. This is gratifying to see as the 20 watt jump is only 1/3 of the 310 power rating.

When I got the 310 for the upstairs system I broke it in on the main setup and found it's performance to be darn equivalent to the 510. I was beginning to worry about sub-par performance on the 5. But I've since gotten a second 510 and my tests show all is well.

I'm a novice when it comes to E.E. What is an appropriate way to measure watts from a receiver? Sorry for being so anal. I love this stuff.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
This mirrors my findings. I had an AVR500 (70x5) at home and replaced it with an AVR310 (50x5) the following year. I found that I was able to achieve the same desired volume levels, just with the volume knob at a higher position. I'd obviously run out of juice on the 310 at some point, but that would be considerably above my desired maximum level.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
It is always satisfying to me to be able to objectively verify these differences. A lot of us shoot for what 'sounds good' or 'sounds loud enough' without really knowing what the less cost for less wattage---extra cost for extra wattage entails. Usually the obvious differences are in the power and feature set. Higher prices generally involve extra features as well as a good bump in juice. I notice with H/K however that the philosophy is somewhat different. The power increases from model to model do not entail huge swings and are instead very incremental. Same with the feature set. H/K just seems to build very good amps in these things and takes it from there.

Anybody out there tell me how to safely measure wattage output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks