watts &amps & ohms.....OH NO!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by LarryAlan, Oct 7, 2004.

1. LarryAlan

LarryAlan Auditioning

I'm just looking into setting up my first HT and wanted to find out about one thing. Is there really any disadvantage to buying speakers with a 4 ohm impedence vs. 8 ohms? I've been listening to several brands and most are 8 ohms. The 4 ohm speakers I've been considering are the Polk LSi series.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    I notice that power amplifiers always rate their output much higher into 4 ohm speakers. Does this mean they will be more efficient than their 8 ohm counterparts.

Thanks for any assistance.

Larry

2. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Larry, What is the associated equipment... especially the receiver, that you will be using...?

3. LarryAlan

LarryAlan Auditioning

Craig...not sure yet. I'm leaning toward the Marantz SR 7400. I would like to do separates, but they're not quite in the budget this time. I also plan to add a Sunfire subwoofer.

4. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    The Marantz is an ok receiver, but a lot of reviews have given the nod to the Denon 3805 over the Marantz... you will be doing yourself a good service by looking at all the alternatives... ecoustics.com will have several reviews of receivers for you.

Polk makes a good speaker... Especially the LSi line.

And listen VERY carefully to the Sunfire... lots of choices in the price range.