Watt distribution for DIY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Sa, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Anthony Sa

Anthony Sa Agent

I have another, slightly easier question. Say a person was going to build a DIY speaker, how would he go about distributing the power from the terminal cup? the smaller drivers can not take as much power as larger ones so I am confused as to how someone would get say (200 watt total) 100 watts to a midbass driver, 65 watts to a midrange driver and 35 watts to a tweeter.

2. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

There is no need to drop the power going to the tweeter and other smaller drivers, but it does help to use a separate amp for really large speakers (basically, subwoofers). I think you are somewhat confused though, so let me explain this concept. First of all, you need to build a crossover. The easiest type is probably the parallel filter, where each driver has its own network and then all networks are wired in parallel. This network will roll off the low frequencies from the tweeter (so it doesnt have to respond to lower frequencies, therefore keeping it in its optimum frequency range). The woofer crossover is low pass, which means that it passes the low frequencies and filters out the highs. Tuning these two circuits (tweeter and woofer crossovers) correctly will cause the two to sum pretty much flat at the crossover point, as if a single speaker was playing the entire range. Now to answer your question about the wattages, there is a lot more power involved with bass compared to treble. As you move up in frequency, the amount of average power in music decreases. Bass is where most of the power from the amp comes from. If you were to just hear the tweeter at regular levels, you would probably think that its not doing too much because music has such smaller amount of info in that range (although its VERY important info for good sound!). Good luck on speakers and I would suggest that you go with a kit for your first pair, as all of the complicated crossover work has been done for you.

--Ryan