What's new

Waterworld rerelease? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I was looking to buy the DTS version of Waterworld, & both Amazon & Best Prices have it coming out on May 7th. Does anyone know anything about this??

Thanks,

Calvin

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I wish they would do a re-release with the extended cut. It adds about 30 minutes or so of footage. I have both of the current releases and the DTS version is miles ahead sound wise, but the Dolby Digital version has a litte better picture quality. Also, both discs only contain a 5.0 soundtrack with no LFE channel, why I don't know. I suppose a re-release will never happen though, due to the fact that Waterworld is generally disliked. I for one loved it.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I also would love the extended cut. I taped the ABC version when it aired. Its a much better version of the movie! Universal should realize that Director's Cut on the front of a dvd package will sell more.

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
I really like Waterworld too, and would love to replace

my LD with a Director's cut DVD.

According to IMDB it made $255m worldwide,

so somebody must have liked it as well.

Does anybody know if there is an online petition for the DC?

Brian O

Second Unit
So, in other words, it broke even.:)
I liked it too and have the DTS version. I would like to see an extended cut. Never saw it on TV.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
From the Internet Movie Database:

The ABC television version restores nearly 40 minutes of material Universal Pictures and Kevin Costner cut from the original release against the will of director Reynolds, Kevin. It explains more clearly the relationship between the Mariner and Helen, and the secret behind the origin of Dry Land.

Looks like Waterworld is a victim of the "studio imposed cut" just like American History X, Alien3, and the original theatrical release of Touch of Evil.

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
So can someone who has seen the extended cut describe the additional scenes? I would really like to know how it changes the story.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
I recommend you buy the current dts release, as if and when it's re-released, don't expect it to have the full-bitrate dts track like it does now. Sure it will probably have dts, but only half-rate (754kbps).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Looks like Waterworld is a victim of the "studio imposed cut" just like American History X, Alien3, and the original theatrical release of Touch of Evil.
Actually, I'm not sure if it was a studio- or star-imposed cut. From what I read, Reynolds and Costner had a falling-out, and Reynolds left his cut at Universal and walked. Then Costner went and reshot a few sequences and made his own cut of the film. But I don't know the exact sequence of events, so don't quote me.
However, I don't know if the ABC version (which has also aired on Encore a few times, by the way) should be considered the "director's cut." It restores a lot of Reynolds' footage, but the same thing happened with Richard Donner's Superman. Reynolds may not have intended all of that footage to be included. Many times, networks will add footage to a movie to entice more people to watch it, and to sell more ads. The extra scenes may or may not be beneficial to the film.
That said, I would love to see a true director's cut of Waterworld. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed the film. (Of course, I liked The Postman, too. :rolleyes::D )

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I might watch the film a second time as a directors cut. Would love to have it in full bitrate DTS though.

You'd think they could go 2 discs, split the film, and maintain video and audio integrity.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Yes, it is due to a repricing. MSRP will be $19.99. Amazon will sell for $14.95. My guess is you may be able to pick it up in Best Buy for $11.99 or even $9.99 like Hihglander.

Also, regarding the following:

Also, both discs only contain a 5.0 soundtrack with no LFE channel, why I don't know
Don't forget, as long as you have your bass management done correctly, this should never be an issue. Just because a track is "5.0", does not mean it won't have plenty of bass!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

What kind of equipment do you have?

I have the current DD version. I would pick up the DTS version if it sounds better, but I don't want to sacrifice picture quality.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
What kind of equipment do you have?
Yamaha HTR-5250 Receiver
AR 208HO Mains
AR Center (Can't remeber the model# off hand, it's part of the HO series)
AR Edge Surrounds
AR S500 Subwoofer
Panasonic PT-47WX49 HDTV
JVC XV-SA75GD DVD Player
It's a modest system yet personally, I think the DTS version sounds way better. In fact, it was the first DTS DVD that I ever bought and I still feel it competes with more recent releases in terms of sound quality.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. We have similar audio equip.

I have the Yamaha HTR 5240 receiver. How much worse did the picture seem? More artifacts?

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah, it has a little more artifacts then the Dolby version, but nothing that is going to effect your enjoyment of the movie. It has about the same amount of grain as the other version too, mainly in the opening sequence and the end titles. It also has about the same amount of edge enhancement. It doesn't have ANY extras either, unless you consider a chapter list an extra. I'm more of a sound guy so thats the main reason why I prefer the DTS version.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I would buy an SE (or DC) or Waterworld, The Postman and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (which is coming soon from WHV hopefully).

DarrenA

Second Unit
So can someone who has seen the extended cut describe the additional scenes? I would really like to know how it changes the story.
The ABC television version restores nearly 40 minutes of material Universal Pictures and Kevin Costner cut from the original release against the will of director Reynolds, Kevin. It explains more clearly the relationship between the Mariner and Helen, and the secret behind the origin of Dry Land. The additional material includes:

After the Mariner's capture at the Atol, the inhabitants of the Atol examine his belongings. Among them they find a ThighMaster, which they believe is an assassin's weapon used to strangle people, and a flute, which they think is used to distract an opponent.

A scene that explains where exactly the Mariner got the jetski he uses to reach the Deacon's ship to rescue the little girl. The survivor's of the Atol massacre are ambushed by 2 of the Deacon's men on jetskis, the Mariner kills both men and takes their weapons and one jetski.

A scene that shows how Gregor managed to find Helen and the Mariner after their boat was burned down. (He followed the smoke)

At least 10 minutes worth of new scenes that further detail life aboard the Deacon's ship. Including how they obtain their cigarettes and other equipment.

A scene that reveals that the two skeletons found in the shack near the end of the movie are indeed the girl's parents instead of just letting the audience guess it.

Scenes that show the Mariner building the new boat he uses the leave the island at the end of the movie.

For the first airing on ABC which restored footage cut from the film, we see Helen and Enola standing atop the cliff watching the Mariner depart before the films end credits. As they are standing there they uncover a plaque which tells us that they are at the peak of Mt. Everest. This scene was not shown in the re-broadcast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks