What's new

International Waterworld (new 4K restoration)- coming from Arrow 12/11/2018 (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This thread serves as an obvious reminder that there isn't a bad movie that exists that isn't loved by someone somewhere or a great movie that isn't disliked (I've come across a lot of Citizen Kane haters). Not a judgment, just an observation.

Its Star Trek The Motion Picture all over again... >_>

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Let us not forget that weather or not someone chooses to give any particular film a home in there library doesn't mean someone else can not see what others do not see in any particular movie. I have this movie on HD-DVD and it was a movie I picked up on DVD but I think back then I got it because my wife at the time liked the movie. I am not against adding this title in 4K but it is not high up on my list and other titles will get purchased before this title unless I find it really cheap. That being said it is not a bad movie and there are some places I find that are good and I also find the story line itself to be good. Is it a great movie IMHO, not really but movies are subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One mans pig with lipstick is another mans masterpiece.

20180929_102450a.jpg

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This thread serves as an obvious reminder that there isn't a bad movie that exists that isn't loved by someone somewhere or a great movie that isn't disliked (I've come across a lot of Citizen Kane haters). Not a judgment, just an observation.
I own copies of both. I'd watch Waterworld any day over Citizen Kane. I've seen Citizen Kane once and hope to never watch it again. I keep the copy in case any of my grandkids ever want to watch it. I firmly believe everyone should form their own opinion of movies and I keep mine to myself where they're concerned if I don't like a particular movie only giving my opinion after they've seen a movie.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
My family rented this movie back when it first came to VHS. I hardly remember anything other than thinking it was boring. I was 9 or 10, so maybe I wasn't the right age to enjoy it. Considering the cult following it has acquired I may have to watch it again, if only to see if I like it as an adult. If I like it I may be interested in picking up this release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I own copies of both. I'd watch Waterworld any day over Citizen Kane. I've seen Citizen Kane once and hope to never watch it again. I keep the copy in case any of my grandkids ever want to watch it. I firmly believe everyone should form their own opinion of movies and I keep mine to myself where they're concerned if I don't like a particular movie only giving my opinion after they've seen a movie.
Only on the HTF there will be a discussion about Waterworld and Citizen Kane in the same thread.:D

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Wowie, Howie.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

There are a lot of cinematic sacred cows I intensely dislike but I won't name them here as not to detract from the Waterworld discussion. Personally, while I think Citizen Kane is a cinematic masterpiece, I'm more likely to watch Touch Of Evil or The Magnificent Ambersons if I'm in a Wellesian mood.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
"The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects."

I love how only 1/2 of this sentence is true.

Yeah, I would hardly say 'thrilled' is an accurate descriptor of what the movie did in 1995. I don't hate it. But its hardly memorable. Arrow's claim of a 'restoration' is odd - very!

Reactions: PMF

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now that you mentioned it, I remember even more how the hype and controversy around this movie coincided with the publicity over sale of Universal from Matsushita (who bought its old parent company MCA, who had owned it since the 1960s) to Seagram's.

Unfortunately, the idea that a recent film (i.e. one made in the last 30 years) would need to be restored or could be lost isn't too farfetched. At least this has a studio to call home who's willing to foot the bill (or at least part of it) for a multi-cut Blu-Ray (see, Disney, that wasn't so hard).

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I still own the bare-bones Universal theatrical-cut BD as well as the 2-disc Extended Cut DVD set that came out in late 2008, but my "go-to" version for a long time now has been my burned DVD-R of the fanmade "Ulysses Cut." And now it is a fan-cut no longer. I'm still practically in tears as I type this. OK, maybe not. But this is amazing news. Never dreamed in a million years that Universal would actually authorize this.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As someone unfamiliar with the Ulysses Cut (or even the extended version), can you offer a quick description of its merits? I have to admit I’m more curious about this release than I thought I’d be.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
As someone unfamiliar with the Ulysses Cut (or even the extended version), can you offer a quick description of its merits? I have to admit I’m more curious about this release than I thought I’d be.
Basically, the Ulysses Cut takes the Extended TV Cut and re-inserts all of the censored stuff that ABC trimmed out due to Standards and Practices (like showing Costner peeing from the theatrical version), including nudity, profanity, etc., plus other theatrical-version stuff snipped for pacing (like the Deacon shooting the "Naaaaaaaaahhhhhhwwwwwww!!!"-dude following the atoll-attack).

Consider it an "ultimate edition" of Waterworld, similar to the Spicediver re-edit of Dune (which...holy crap...could now also theoretically get officially released by Universal or Arrow, if this disc somehow opens the door wide for that kind of thing).

diverdave

Grip
Real Name
David Hale
• Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage

This has the potential to put "Wreckage and Rage: Making Alien 3" to shame. :eek:

I'll probably buy this. It took a fine editing job to condense an overlong movie down to the theatrical cut which ends up being a half decent action adventure flick.

Killer soundtrack by James Newton Howard, though the legend is the first soundtrack was rejected and JNH was brought in at the 11th hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks