What's new

International Waterworld (new 4K restoration)- coming from Arrow 12/11/2018 (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Enough with the "restoration" for heaven's sake. Waterworld doesn't need a restoration - it needs other things like a good story and characters, but a restoration? Just because they're doing a 4K transfer of something doesn't mean they're restoring it. That word has simply lost all meaning.

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Isn't that "adjusted" budget the production number only? I think I read somewhere that it was more like $235 million (actual) once marketing and distribution costs were factored in.

Look, no matter how you slice it the film was a BOMB. It lost money. They can tell you whatever figure you like (very easy to lie about overseas grosses and they do it all the time when a film tanks here) - you have left off P&A - when that is added in, using the simple box-office formula, even if the numbers were correct it still lost money. And it never made what they're saying so it REALLY lost money.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No, I didn't leave off P&A. The $235 million figure I mentioned includes marketing and distribution costs, as stated in the post you quoted.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Isn't that "adjusted" budget the production number only? I think I read somewhere that it was more like $235 million (actual) once marketing and distribution costs were factored in.
I went off the $175 million production budget in 1995.

So back then probably 2x it’s production budget would have it break even.

So $350 million 1995 dollars was the break even number. It made $264 million.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I went off the $175 million production budget in 1995.

So back then probably 2x it’s production budget would have it break even.

So $350 million 1995 dollars was the break even number. It made $264 million.

I don't believe it made anywhere near that figure, BUT - even if it did it seems to have lost $90 million. I'd say that was a rather substantial bomb. But I think it's much worse than that.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
waterworldARROW.jpg

Description
The most expensive film ever made at the time of its release, Waterworld has thrilled audiences through the years with its awe-inspiring action scenes, gargantuan maritime sets and ground-breaking special effects.

A definitive post-apocalypse blockbuster, Waterworld stars Kevin Costner (The Untouchables) as The Mariner – a mutant trader, adrift in a dystopian future where Earth is submerged under water and humankind struggles to survive on boats and in ramshackle floating cities. The Mariner becomes embroiled with the Smokers, a gang of pirates who, led by villainous leader Deacon (Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet), are seeking Enola (Tina Majorino, Napoleon Dynamite), a girl with a map to the mythical realm of “Dryland” tattooed on her back.

Famous for both its epic scale and the controversy that swirled around its production, Waterworld is a key cult film of the 1990s, and an essential entry into the subgenre of ecologically-minded blockbusters. Presented here in an exclusive new restoration, in three different cuts, and with a wealth of extra material, this high-water mark of high-concept Hollywood can now be enjoyed as never before.

TWO-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

• New restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative by Arrow Films, presenting the film in three cuts

• Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio options

• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

• Six collector’s postcards

• Double-sided fold-out poster

• Limited edition 60-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by David J. Moore and Daniel Griffith, archival articles and original reviews

• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Paul Shipper

DISC ONE – THE THEATRICAL CUT

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the original theatrical cut

• Maelstrom: The Odyssey of Waterworld, an all-new, feature-length making-of documentary including extensive cast and crew interviews and behind the scenes footage

• Original archival featurette capturing the film’s production

• Global Warnings, film critic Glenn Kenny explores the subgenre of ecologically aware Hollywood blockbusters

• Production and promotional stills gallery

• Visual effects stills gallery

• Original trailers and TV spots

DISC TWO – THE EXTENDED CUTS [LIMTED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended US TV cut, which runs over 40 minutes longer than the theatrical cut

• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the extended European “Ulysses” cut, which includes censored shots and dialogue

Release date 12/11/2018
Why, Why Why ...
10776565[1].jpg

It's not bad ... it's not good ...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I actually liked this film okay. I liked the Postman better, the cameo of Tom Petty was pretty cool. Hopefully we will see that one coming out on the foot tails of this one.
What? Before the extended "Dances"? Now that's the Kostner for a UHD release.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Maybe, but thanks to overseas and video revenue, this film did make a tiny profit.

Anyhow it is about time we got a deluxe edition with a new extended edit in addition to the theatrical and TV cuts. Looking forward to it!

Remember, it was Costner himself who recut the film against the will of director Kevin Reynolds, so what we are gonna see in this new blu ray is the cinema equivalent of David (Reynolds) vs. Goliath (Costner).
Wait, Costner Cut the director's version to his own version?

Reactions: PMF

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm relatively indifferent about the movie itself but am tempted to get this just for the retrospective documentary: I have a soft spot for candid interviews and documentaries about notoriously troubled productions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks