What's new

WATERSHIP DOWN announced at DVD File...Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Announced for March '02. So far I cannot find out whether or not Warner bros. intends to release this DVD was widescreen only, P&S only, or both. Maybe this is a good time to begin reminding the company know that the same people who wanted LORD OF THE RINGS, CATS AND DOGS and WILLY WONKA in widescreen are still here...

Andy Overby

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, had to read that book in 7th Grade Honors English. What a wonderful book, didnt know there was a movie of it.
Add that to the list, I suppose. :)
- Andy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes, a customer review says of that R2 edition:

"I have a better copy of this film on VHS, 10 September, 2001"

Reviewer: A viewer from WEST MIDLANDS,UK

"I have fond memories of this movie, having seen it at the cinema in 1979.DVD is a technological leap forward for home movie buffs, but some studios seem to believe that they can simply slap a copy of a movie onto the new format with little intrest in quality. The contrast was so poor it started to hurt my eyes after a while, even after adjusting my TV contrast to 100%.And the color was almost non existent. Rather than using Pan & scan the studio has positioned the scan to the right of centre and held that position for the full length of the movie. When most DVD's are released in their widescreen original theatre format why did they choose to release this very sloppy version. perhaps the studios should employ someone with technical ability or at the very least an intrest in what they are doing. This the 1st time I have felt strongly enough to go to the extent of writing a review but I feel that a good movie has been spoilt with a very poor quality DVD."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The laserdisc contained a very nice 4x3 lbxed transfer.

Let's hope the DVD can better it with 16x9 ala Neverending Story.

Oh PLEEEAAASE Warner.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
As far as I'm aware, Warner's P&S policy applied only to children's/family titles.

Watership Down, despite being animated, is hardly in that category.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB is very good with putting 2.35:1 animated movies in widescreen on DVD. If they can 16x9 The Iron Giant, they can do Watership Down.

I have yet to see a P&S-only title from WB of a 2.35:1 movie. (The Witches is rumored to be 2.35:1, but it looks more like 1.85:1 open matte to me...)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
WB is very good with putting 2.35:1 animated movies in widescreen on DVD. If they can 16x9 The Iron Giant, they can do Watership Down.
I don't think Watership down was filmed in that ratio. If I remember correctly IMDB.com lists the ratio at 1.66.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---Not true, the last VHS copy of this movie is placed under the Warner Family label.----
Animated films, on this continent at least, seem to almost automatically be placed as family or childrens films.
It is especially bad at point of retail or rental. I have seen "Fritz the Cat" placed in the childrens section. Good, wholesome family entertainment, that one. :) Right now the Future Shop, in the city where I live, has "Perfect Blue" racked as a family title. I can just imagine Mom and Dads reaction when they sit down with little Johnny on family night and watch that bit of "family" entertainment. :)
I guess Watership Down could be considered "family" entertainment but after watching it, some young kids might never look at dogs the same way again. For it's time, for an animated film, parts of it were graphic. IMO, one of the themes in "WD" actually has relevance to our present time..post Sept. 11.
I would really like to see a fully restored version of "Watership Down" released because I consider this film to be a little bit of a landmark as a commercial animated film. I would also like to see Nepenthe Productions other animated film, "The Plague Dogs", restored and released on disc. "The Plague Dogs" is an almost unknown and underrated piece of animated filmmaking. It is one of those rare films where the film, IMO, is vastly superior to the book.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
In light of the fact that extras will be slim for this release, I don't think that it would be impossible for them to include on the same disc BOTH versions...PS and Letterboxed. I would prefer the latter of course. But I am certain that they could do both if they considered it.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
DVD Review just posted that Watership Down will be in anamorphic widescreen.
From DVD Review:
The 1978 dramatic animated fantasy Watership Down is coming to DVD in March from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment. The film marked one of the first full length animated features from the studio, and is considered by many to be its best.
Richard Adams' best-selling book about a family of rabbits seeking a new home is spellbindingly visualized and beautifully scored. Seen through the eyes of visionary Fiver, thoughtful Hazel and courageous Bigwig, they have left their warren to escape destruction, facing danger along their journey from malicious farm animals, shadowy humans and their own kind.
Presented in anamorphic widescreen, the new DVD features the musical number "Bright Eyes" performed by Art Garfunkel and a theatrical trailer.
Coming on March 26th, "Watership Down" will carry a $19.98 suggested retail price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks