WATERSHIP DOWN announced at DVD File...Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Announced for March '02. So far I cannot find out whether or not Warner bros. intends to release this DVD was widescreen only, P&S only, or both. Maybe this is a good time to begin reminding the company know that the same people who wanted LORD OF THE RINGS, CATS AND DOGS and WILLY WONKA in widescreen are still here...

2. Andy Overby

Andy Overby Stunt Coordinator

Wow, had to read that book in 7th Grade Honors English. What a wonderful book, didnt know there was a movie of it.
    Add that to the list, I suppose. [​IMG]
    - Andy

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Yes, a customer review says of that R2 edition:

"I have a better copy of this film on VHS, 10 September, 2001"

Reviewer: A viewer from WEST MIDLANDS,UK

"I have fond memories of this movie, having seen it at the cinema in 1979.DVD is a technological leap forward for home movie buffs, but some studios seem to believe that they can simply slap a copy of a movie onto the new format with little intrest in quality. The contrast was so poor it started to hurt my eyes after a while, even after adjusting my TV contrast to 100%.And the color was almost non existent. Rather than using Pan & scan the studio has positioned the scan to the right of centre and held that position for the full length of the movie. When most DVD's are released in their widescreen original theatre format why did they choose to release this very sloppy version. perhaps the studios should employ someone with technical ability or at the very least an intrest in what they are doing. This the 1st time I have felt strongly enough to go to the extent of writing a review but I feel that a good movie has been spoilt with a very poor quality DVD."

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The laserdisc contained a very nice 4x3 lbxed transfer.

Let's hope the DVD can better it with 16x9 ala Neverending Story.

Oh PLEEEAAASE Warner.

6. Rain

Rain Producer

As far as I'm aware, Warner's P&S policy applied only to children's/family titles.

Watership Down, despite being animated, is hardly in that category.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB is very good with putting 2.35:1 animated movies in widescreen on DVD. If they can 16x9 The Iron Giant, they can do Watership Down.

I have yet to see a P&S-only title from WB of a 2.35:1 movie. (The Witches is rumored to be 2.35:1, but it looks more like 1.85:1 open matte to me...)

8. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

The LD looks more like 2.35:1 than 1.66:1. i'll check tonight when I go home.

-dave

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

---Not true, the last VHS copy of this movie is placed under the Warner Family label.----
    Animated films, on this continent at least, seem to almost automatically be placed as family or childrens films.
    It is especially bad at point of retail or rental. I have seen "Fritz the Cat" placed in the childrens section. Good, wholesome family entertainment, that one. [​IMG] Right now the Future Shop, in the city where I live, has "Perfect Blue" racked as a family title. I can just imagine Mom and Dads reaction when they sit down with little Johnny on family night and watch that bit of "family" entertainment. [​IMG]
    I guess Watership Down could be considered "family" entertainment but after watching it, some young kids might never look at dogs the same way again. For it's time, for an animated film, parts of it were graphic. IMO, one of the themes in "WD" actually has relevance to our present time..post Sept. 11.
    I would really like to see a fully restored version of "Watership Down" released because I consider this film to be a little bit of a landmark as a commercial animated film. I would also like to see Nepenthe Productions other animated film, "The Plague Dogs", restored and released on disc. "The Plague Dogs" is an almost unknown and underrated piece of animated filmmaking. It is one of those rare films where the film, IMO, is vastly superior to the book.

11. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

In light of the fact that extras will be slim for this release, I don't think that it would be impossible for them to include on the same disc BOTH versions...PS and Letterboxed. I would prefer the latter of course. But I am certain that they could do both if they considered it.

12. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

DVD Review just posted that Watership Down will be in anamorphic widescreen.
    From DVD Review:

13. Rain

Rain Producer

I told you so. [​IMG]

14. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

Rain,
    You've been waiting to say that, haven't you? [​IMG]