What's new

Waterproof subfloor? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
We've kicked around finishing our basement again, mostly for HT use.

We do have a high water table and run dual sumps. We're also on well water. The company that installed our water treatment system ran the backflush system into the sump crock.

This of course flooded the crock with rust waste...and clogged it....we've had 3 "floods" this past 2 years.

2 were from 2 dead sumps, overworked(thats been fixed)

The last one one sump clogged with rust. The other sump had another issue.

We were running about $100 in sump pumps alone on electricity. I installed 2 piggy back float switches which dropped our usage down to about $12 per month.

When the one sump died from rust of course the float switch got stuck on the overflow pipe....

So now all that has been resolved.

I watch the sumps monthly and hopefully will not have a problem.

Still we want to put in a HT in the basement. Its roughly 2000sq feet and the area we want to finish is about 18x20. We want to put in a subfloor.

In the event of another flood we'd like to seal the subfloor off. Worst case we've had 1-2 inches of water and very little in the area we want to finish.

If we could seal proof the sub floor and extra room area to about 3" then we wouldn't need to worry about another failure.

Is this possible? Would it work?

We do not have water problems from the walls, ever so I'm not worried about that too much.

Thanks

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
You could get dri-core flooring, but it's made of OSB and I don't think it'd do too well with a soaking. I put this down in our basement, we have a similar problem as you do with water.

http://www.greatmats.com/products/carpetflex-tile.html

It has standoffs that keep it off of the concrete. The good that is that if it does get flooded, you can pull it apart and bring it out in the sun to dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks