1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waterloo with Rod Steiger as Nappy

Discussion in 'Movies' started by DaveDickey, Mar 21, 2004.

1. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

Several years ago, I saw a film on VHS called "Waterloo" starring Rod Steiger as Napoleon. The movie was just incredible, but I lost the VHS tape, and now can not find it for sale anywhere. I've done some research and learned that the film, though critically acclaimed, was a flop. This may explain its scarcity. Does anyone have any idea where I might find this movie? I've checked numerous "rare" and "out of print" online movie shops using Google, but no luck. Thanks for any help. Dave[​IMG]

2. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

this has been out on reg2 DVD for some years now. No extras but at least better than my old well worn VHS copy.

I love this film, they just don't make 'em like this any more....even though I think Steiger did ham it up a little too much, the battle scenes are incredible.

3. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Christoper Plummer as Wellington?? Saw it when it was first released in the dark ages.. Yes, awesome battle scenes.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Maurice McCone wrote (post #2):

Steiger's marriage to Claire Bloom was one of the casualties of this debacle, as were Steiger's plans to film other historical "epics" in Hollywood during the '70s.

5. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't surprise me that the DVD is available in region 2 format. You Brits have all the luck [​IMG]

I'll just keep my hopes up for a North America release. Thanks for the info.

Dave

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The region 2 is a DVD-5 (single layer, single sided) but anamorphic and has the original 4.0 stereo soundtrack. The print used is pretty good, but could have used a bit of clean-up. It's a Columbia release. Why Columbia has not released it in the States is a mystery, but then quite a lot of the decisions Columbia makes are a mystery to me.

It's a damn good movie on its own terms, even if Stieger is less than convincing as Napoleon, but Plummer is great - as he always is - as Wellington.

At least War and Peace (1964-67, Russian) is on DVD in the States.