1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waterloo (1970) now available on Blu-Ray! See Post #59

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Reggie W, Feb 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. samkydd

samkydd Auditioning

Kevin
    Can you remember him mentioning any scenes that were cut from the film?

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
  3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    True. It’s as I recall.

5. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    The things the reviewer in RAH's link does not like about Waterloo pretty much sums up why I do like it. If I were not a history buff, I'd probably have the same reaction. But I am one I and love the fact that it is basically a movie that is only about the battle and some events leading up to it.

The opening scene in which the Marshalls talk Napoleon into abdicating is the only really crappy scene in the movie IMO.There is some terrible dialog in that scene, but it does serve to set the scene for the excellent (IMO) scene of Napoleon's farewell to the Guard as he heads off to exile. I thought Steiger did a great job as Napoleon. He's a tad hammy at times, but Napoleon was too. The scene where the 5th Line Regiment that was sent to arrest him joins him instead is just as it is described in history and paintings.

Waterloo reminds me of movies like The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far and Gettysburg. All those films are basically just films about battles, with little else (like a romantic subplot) to get in the way. I like all those films, but my wife (who does not share my interest in history) does not.

6. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Not a movie I will rewatch anytime soon but I vividly remember thinking that it should have been shot in 65mm, there was so much to see even in that faded 70mm Blow Up a few years ago.

DP 70 likes this.
  7. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    Sam:

Sorry not to reply sooner to your question about cuts to WATERLOO. All I knew of the film was from one showing at the now vanished Victoria Metropole and I can't imagine Kevin (boom operator) having a detailed knowledge of it either as he wouldn't have expected to see everything shot for such a large scale picture in the final edit.

8. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I have this German Blu-ray now and I agree that picture quality (and sound) is excellent. The film seems considerably better than I remember from when I saw it in 1970, possibly because it has an epic quality with thousands of extras and a realism which vastly surpasses today's CGI efforts. The lengthy battle is truly awe-inspiring, especially the amazing cavalry charge. The disc includes the original English language souvenir book amongst the extras.

Jack K, Randy Korstick and Reggie W like this.
  9. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I ordered it, but got an email last week that it was unavailable.

10. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    I ordered from Amazon Germany and received my copy two weeks ago. For under $17 total. I see that Amazon.de still lists it as "in stock" while Amazon UK says "currently unavailable."

ahollis and Paul Rossen like this.
  11. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

I echo Doug's comments .
    I don't remember the reviews being as harsh as the NYT quoted above.
    In the UK it was one of the top grossing films of the year.
    Excellent PQ as well as 5.1 audio.
    Worth while tracking down in my opinion .

12. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Thanks. I just ordered it from Amazon.de for 12 US dollars.

Mark McSherry likes this.
  13. Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren Second Unit

Paul Warren
    Well I ordered it from amazon.de as UK amazon are OOP now & the disc arrived today so I was really excited to check this out on my Panasonic THX 4K UHD & BD player & LG 65" 4K HDR ....

Would not bother importing at all IMHO :rolleyes: This is one of favourite ever war movies along with Patton & this BD is very shoddy & cheaply mastered sadly.

PQ is really terrible I mean it looks like a bad HD-DVD with loads of variable DNR & grain removal which comes & goes a lot as well as some bad panning horizontal artifacts & fixable gate weave is present in many key scenes. Loads of detail is scrubbed away from frame to frame scene to scene even the giveaway is how much detail goes missing & the next frame goes a little blurry then back again to more detail. Either the technician fell asleep or was never present to begin with & they left it on auto pilot :(

I would give the BD about 2 or 3 out of 10 it looks absolutely terrible to me & it also has a mastering error every time you select a chapter to view it resets the sub titles to always on regardless of if you are already listening to the Eng 2.0 or 5.1 DTS track! So you have to keep turning them off again every single time.

This epic movie needs someone somewhere to revisit the new restoration transfer & ensure its properly mastered on disc or even 4K download. Sony are handling the German BD according to the back of the box but licensed it out to Explosive Media who should recall the disc and try again :eek:

14. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Hmm, I projected the disc on a 108" screen and it looked good to me, nor did I experience the mastering error that you did.

15. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I don’t understand these criticisms. I don’t see what you’re seeing and several others in this thread have praised the PQ. As for the sub-titles, my LG player does not display the problem you describe.

16. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

I have now been able to watch the complete disc and had no trouble with the PQ at all.
    I think I read on the German website that the transfer was by Sony which certainly has an excellent reputation.
    If you have problems I really think you need to check your setup.

Richard Pyke, Jack K and Douglas R like this.
  17. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I have watched the German Blu-ray disc and thought it looked pretty good. In comparing it with the DVD, I thought the DVD was brighter over-all. The Blu-ray has a more subdued look in scenes like the Duchess of Richmond's ball. It looks more like a place actually lit by candlelight on the BR. While I'm sure they did some DNR, the picture does not look DNR'd to death to me. You can see the texture of the wool on Napoleon's coat, etc.

The DVD had Dolby Digital 4.0, and the Blu-ray sound is very like it, with extreme use of directions in the dialog and some of the artillery explosions.

I did not experience the authoring error with the subtitles. However, I cannot play the disc on my LG Blu-ray drive in my PC. I was going to take some screenshots of the disc, but kept getting a read error and the disc would not load when I tried to play it with that drive; so something seems amiss somewhere.

ahollis likes this.