1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waterloo (1970) now available on Blu-Ray! See Post #59

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Reggie W, Feb 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    Who is releasing this? When? (Too bad not a 4k scan with so much detail in the picture. Makes me wonder)

2. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

A 4k UHD would be fantastic but somewhat unlikely:(

3. Message #43 of 67 Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Explosive Media on April 25th. The releases come up on the Koch Media website, so I don't know if Explosive Media part of Koch now. They mostly release westerns (most of the Mann/Stewart westerns are released by Explosive Media in Germany), but do a lot of other stuff, some releases are better than others (like all the other boutique labels), they license from a lot of studios, I think they are kosher. I very rarely pre-order catalogue releases these days, I like to read a few comments about it first (that's the great thing about the internet & sites like this one).

4. CULTMAN1

CULTMAN1 Stunt Coordinator

Bruce Campbell
    This is excellent news. I will be ordering for myself and customers here in the UK

5. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    My guess is this comes from Mosfilm's recent scan of the picture. Seems unlikely it would be anything else. They list the running time of this version as "about 134 minutes" which sounds close to the 132 minute version I have on a Russian DVD.

I think this blu-ray should look wonderful to anybody that is a fan of the picture and should far surpass anything we have seen for home consumption.

I wonder if anybody else will release this after Explosive does. I kind of doubt any company in the US will. This seems unlikely as I think this is a Paramount film in North America...which pretty much dooms any chance of a US company touching this I think. Maybe somebody like Indicator or Arrow in the UK could also release a blu-ray but I can say I will leap at getting this version from Explosive as on blu-ray this should be an incredible looking film.

I think this should look great as the film looked in good shape on the old Russian DVD so I doubt this needed a lot of restoration work.

6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, not something I would hold my breath for. In the reading I did about this film one of the reasons it has taken so long for this blu-ray to arrive is because the Russians made it near impossible to get near film elements of any picture they had control of. So, it would take years of negotiations just to reach an impasse. With a picture like Waterloo, seen as a flop upon it's original release, I sincerely doubt anybody would want to go through the hassle of fighting to try to get this film out never mind getting the chance to do this in 4K. I'm sure to Paramount this film basically never existed as far as they are concerned at this point.

I believe the only reason we are going to see this on blu-ray is that the Russians decided to get into creating digital masters of the films they have themselves. So, we are now going to get to see this. You can watch the video of Mosfilm's "restoration" work in this thread, which includes some clips showing they were working on Waterloo. I think Robert Harris made some comments after seeing that video as to the level of work the Russians may have been capable of.

If they managed a 2K scan of this from good elements I would think that will probably be the best we'll ever see of this picture. Seems unlikely they, or anybody else, is going to revisit this despite the battle scenes (which basically are the entire second half of the film) being the most spectacular ever filmed of the battle of Waterloo.

So, really I would not frown about there being no 4K of this, I would celebrate that there is actually a new 2K scan of a film that for years seemed unlikely ever to get a blu-ray.

:cheers:

7. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn

same label released : CROMWELL....on BD .........picture and sound were excellent ..

DP 70 and Reggie W like this.
  8. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I'm not a huge fan of the film, I was very disappointed when I saw it at the cinema all those years ago, but I might give it another go, esp. with the interest that the release of Bondarchuk's War & Peace will bring. It's been on TV a few times in the UK in HD looking very nice.

Reggie W likes this.
  9. Message #49 of 67 Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Thomas Neumeier

Thomas Neumeier Auditioning

deleted

10. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

According to an email I received from Amazon.de today this release has been pushed back to next January, which is never a good sign.

11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, for release in January? They had it listed releasing on December 31, so that seems not too bad at all.

12. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

Except, at least in the States, December 31st (of any given year), used to be a default date to plug-in for any title whose release was under some form of question. It was never meant to be taken as a genuine release date.

13. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn
    It is now out last week on Bluray in Germany. Picture quality is very good indeed . Film is in English or German with English or German sub-titles. Sound is DTS-MA 5.1 and good.

Robin9, Jack K and Reggie W like this.
  14. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, I am very excited. My order says it has shipped and is on the way. This, War and Peace, and Come and See are the three Russian restorations I was most eager to get my hands on. So, shortly I will have two of the three.

The rumor is Criterion is also going to release Come and See, which the Russians completed a restoration of in 2016.

15. Message #55 of 67 Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

The WATERLOO Blu-ray (Zone B-listed) has arrived after a delay and it's a beauty, no A/V problems to report. Minor extras are an English-language trailer and promotional material. Runs 134 minutes (I believe the old, decrepit Russian DVD, a coaster now, actually runs the same; PAL speedup may be a factor in the running times, as the DVD runs 128m). After the successful revival of WAR AND PEACE maybe a Zone A distributor will pick it up, but I've also confirmed that it plays just fine in a Zone A player.

Reggie W and Robin9 like this.
  16. richardburton84

richardburton84 Stunt Coordinator

Jack
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Criterion ends up releasing this at some point, considering their relationship with Mosfilm unless Paramount ends up proving a stumbling block. If Criterion licenses the Mosfilm restoration, I would expect a Janus Films tour before a Blu-ray release as that seems to be the custom with their Mosfilm licensed films (which would indicate we’ll be getting Cranes are Flying before Waterloo).

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  17. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Well I don't have it, but this was posted over at blu-ray.com:

"Listed as Region B, but I played it on my Oppo set to Region A and double-checked region code setting with my French Cotton Club Blu-ray (locked to B)"

18. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I have the disc and can confirm it plays in Region A players, so it appears not to be region locked.

19. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

WATERLOO starring Rod Stieger and Christopher Plummer is now available on Blu-Ray from Amazon,UK and Amazon.DE with a running time of 134 minutes. The audio tracks are in English and German with English and German subtitles. Facing the decline of everything he has worked to achieve Napoleon faces his greatest challenge at Waterloo.

The video and audio are very good with the Blu-Ray playing on a Panasonic player set to region A.

Waterloo.

20. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    I knew a film sound boom operator who worked on WATERLOO. I had reservations about some of his stories so don't know how true this one is:

He claimed that Rod Steiger announced he would not be available for any post-sync so all location dialogue had to be usable. Kevin maintained that because of the aspect ratio he was able to be in shot in costume with the boom out of shot over his head.

I merely pass it on …….

samkydd likes this.