Watering the Xmas Tree?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
We usually get either a Fraser or Noble fir. I use straight water and make sure I keep it topped up every day. The tree is always green, fragrant, and pliable 3 weeks later when I haul it out of the house. Never had a need for additives.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was told to use water just at boiling for the first watering, then regular tap water afterwards. This is my first fresh-cut, and I got it last week, so I hope it makes it to Christmas.

My wife is an artificial tree person and this is my one chance to sway her to "live" trees!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
har har.

Nearly boiling water for a tree, that sounds like it would damage it. Let is know how it works.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've heard this too. I've also heard of using Ginger Ale.

Once upon a time, they sold tree "preservatives" in the christmas department of most stores. Don't know if they still make it or not.

Personally, in the years I dealt with live trees, I never found anything that prevented the unholy mess at the end of the season.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The tree people said it's the recommendation from the American Association of Christmas Trees or something. The idea is that it help swell the "veins" of the tree, so it takes up water better. I'm afraid I just cooked my tree...

The aspirin thing seems to be an old wives tale. But at least the tree wouldn't get a headache.

But here's a recipe for a preservative. I may try this out.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...eepreserve.htm

DanHal

Stunt Coordinator

For any of you Mythbuster fans out there, this weeks episode, the 6th, they will be testing different methods for keeping the needles on the tree the longest.

As always, it should be entertaining.

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator
From what I can remember, we always used to put a few spoonfuls of sugar in the water. I'm not entirely sure why... but it's what we did

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There are commercially available sprays that help the needles retain moisture.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The only thing I've ever done is be sure to make a fresh cut right before plopping it in the stand. If you cut off an inch or so such that the bottom isn't sapped over it should be good to go.

-Dave

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> From what I can remember, we always used to put a few spoonfuls of sugar in the water. I'm not entirely sure why...

to help the medicine go down, the medicine go dowwwwwwwwn

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Balsam or Fraser firs last the longest. Never have a needle drop when we get one of those. Fresh cut of course. The ones you get at the lots have been cut in early October. I have read of some tree cutters cutting them earlier and sinking them in swamps to preserve them until sale time.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper