1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfront- the one starring Joey Pantoliano

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David_Blackwell, Oct 20, 2006.

1. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Anyone looking to see this when CBS starts airing it.

I have seen the pilot The review can be found here

I always think Joey does some of his best work on TV (and I still miss The Handler). Any guesses on what day and time CBS will place this show (and it might be a good show to fill in after The Unit since Smith has been cancelled)? I know this will pop up sometime during early 2007 and 9 additional episodes (at least) are being produced).

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

CBS has actually put the kibosh on it - four epiodes (including the pilot) filmed, none likely to make it to air except maybe as mid-summer filler.

3. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Too bad. Was hoping this would be another feather in the cap of the Providence film industry. We have the Brotherhood and Underdog. Saw Joey Pants at lunch the afternoon the cancellation was announced and he looked a little forlorn. Networks seem to be losing patience with expensive dramas.

4. David_Blackwell

That's too bad. I liked what I saw in the pilot.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

You'd think they would figure out it was too expensive before finishing 4 episodes.

Here's a crazy idea- instead of announcing this news, why not just put the show on mid-season as originally planned and see if the ratings justify the cost?

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Easy to say when it's not your money. If this show was costing a million dollars and episode, CBS just saved $9M. That's not chump change, even for a television network.

And it's not just "too expensive". One of the factors was the network's full schedule - Shark, The Unit, and The Amazing Race all got picked up for a complete season, and they appear to have more confidenc ein 3 Lbs. than Waterfront. They've also had three more episodes to look at, and might not like what they see.

7. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> If this show was costing a million dollars and episode, CBS just saved $9M.

The money's already spent - did you miss the part where they made 4 episodes?

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, but they probably ordered 13. By stopping production after four shows were shot, they didn't spend the $9M that completing the order would have entailed.

9. David_Blackwell

CBS might not have saved money. They might have had to pay the production company for not airing the show (but I don't know if that is in the contract). CBS might not have wanted to spend the money to promote it.