Waterfront- the one starring Joey Pantoliano

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Anyone looking to see this when CBS starts airing it.

I have seen the pilot The review can be found here

I always think Joey does some of his best work on TV (and I still miss The Handler). Any guesses on what day and time CBS will place this show (and it might be a good show to fill in after The Unit since Smith has been cancelled)? I know this will pop up sometime during early 2007 and 9 additional episodes (at least) are being produced).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
CBS has actually put the kibosh on it - four epiodes (including the pilot) filmed, none likely to make it to air except maybe as mid-summer filler.

Phil_L

Second Unit
Too bad. Was hoping this would be another feather in the cap of the Providence film industry. We have the Brotherhood and Underdog. Saw Joey Pants at lunch the afternoon the cancellation was announced and he looked a little forlorn. Networks seem to be losing patience with expensive dramas.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
You'd think they would figure out it was too expensive before finishing 4 episodes.

Here's a crazy idea- instead of announcing this news, why not just put the show on mid-season as originally planned and see if the ratings justify the cost?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Easy to say when it's not your money. If this show was costing a million dollars and episode, CBS just saved $9M. That's not chump change, even for a television network.

And it's not just "too expensive". One of the factors was the network's full schedule - Shark, The Unit, and The Amazing Race all got picked up for a complete season, and they appear to have more confidenc ein 3 Lbs. than Waterfront. They've also had three more episodes to look at, and might not like what they see.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> If this show was costing a million dollars and episode, CBS just saved $9M.

The money's already spent - did you miss the part where they made 4 episodes?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but they probably ordered 13. By stopping production after four shows were shot, they didn't spend the $9M that completing the order would have entailed.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
CBS might not have saved money. They might have had to pay the production company for not airing the show (but I don't know if that is in the contract). CBS might not have wanted to spend the money to promote it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avaroy