What's new

Water on DVD... which one??? (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I heard on NPR this morning that this incredible film was available to buy on DVD.

First thing at work, I did the typically search to see who had the best price. Oddly, I found what look to be *three* different DVD packages of the movie:

Single Disc at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Water/dp/B000E...708821?ie=UTF8

2-Disc at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Water/dp/B000E...708821?ie=UTF8

Yet another version at deep discount DVD:
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemid=FXD036614

Ok, what gives?

My gut says to go for the 2-disc SE, but my real agenda here is to get a version with a decent 16x9 transfer. I know how these bollywood-type films can often be... typically they have horrendous image quality and are often 4x3 lbx.

Does anyone have any knowledge of which DVD is "the" DVD to get the best image quality? Your help is greatly appreciated!!! This film was stunning in 35 mm and I really want the DVD not to mess with that experience beyond the format's inherent compromise of 720 x 480 resolution.

thanks!!!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Fox DVD is the legit one. It is single disc, with a commentary and two making of docs (I wrote a review of the DVD on my blog yesterday). It is 16x9 with a very good transfer (and I watch a lot of Indian films, so I know how the DVDs can be).

Like a lot of Bollywood films (although this really isn't a Bollywood film), semi reputable DVD companies release mutliple versions of it. I guess it has been available for a while from them.

But, the Fox version will probably have the best transfer.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks. It seems that the last link then is the one that shows a cover that matches the cover on your blog review?

Thanks!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
hey all,

I ordered the one from deep dvd discount which looked like the one that Jon reviewed... and then about 5 minutes ago they emailed me and told me that the DVD had been "canceled" and that my order was being canceled as a result.

Any of you who loved this film and/or know about the various DVDs please chime in!

dave :)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It looks like this is the one that they sent me to review:

http://www.amazon.com/Water/dp/B000G...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

But, it appears to be fairly popular, as they have it in the "available in 6-12 days" (although, when Amazon says that, it is normally a lot faster than that to order it).

That two disc one reviewed at DVD Talk looks to be interesting, but the official Fox version being released this week is this one.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The two-disc version is a Canadian release from Canadian indie Mongrel Media who worked with Deepa Mehta before on her film Bollywood / Hollywood. 'Water' was released theatrically in Canada by Mongrel quite successfully months before it opened in the U.S. hence the earlier Mongrel DVD version. You may not have heard of their company in the U.S. but they are great people who are passionate about non-mainstream film. I haven't seen the disc myself but it's not a shady bootleg by any means. I wouldn't be surprised if the two discs shared the same transfer ( quite common with films with differing U.S. & Canadian rightsholders ) . In fact, I'll ask my contacts tomorrow and report back to you.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rob!

deep dvd discount just emailed me to say that my canceled order was due to an issue with my billing/shipping address. I had moved and just updated my account info so at least it wasn't because the disc had been pulled or anything.

I'll wait to hear more before deciding which copy to order. Picture quality is the most important issue for me... so if anyone has seen both and can compare/comment it would be appreciated.

thanks for all the input guys.

dave :)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
David,

You might want to check out this link:

http://www.zulm.net/forums/viewtopic...4b6b65f713ba58

It is from Zulm, a sort of HTF for Indian films. They get just as obsessive at times about picture quality. The link has all sorts of screenshots from the Mongrel edition.

And thanks for the info about Mongrel. I had never heard of them.

The thing about Indian film is that so often, even if the title says it is from an official company, it will often be a pirate or bootleg. Even for those listed on Amazon that are only available from third party sellers, you will find that they are selling bootleg DVDs. Sites like Nehaflix offer official ones, that aren't available in a wider release, like WATER is.

The only "official" US release is the Fox one, but an official Canadian one isn't a bootleg.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I am told that the two companies did not share a transfer, although Mongrel did loan Fox some bonus materials.

FYI , this film is actually a Canadian film based on the financing, the citizenship of the writer-director Deepa Mehta, and the distributor ( Mongrel Media ) although it of course deals with non-Canadian settings.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the canadian version with the 2nd disc with the English acted version of the film. Sounds like a cool special feature. If I can buy/rent the American disc I will and do a comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks