What's new

Watchmen (HBO) Season One (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was very underwhelmed by the finale. Everything felt slammed together in a very comic book fashion. I didn't get that feel from the rest of the series, which I enjoyed immensely. But trying to button everything down with this brought out some very contrived bits and over the top performances (specifically the villains suddenly acting so much more obviously villainous - Senator and Trieu). Just didn't settle with me after the very deliberate and finely laid out sequences to this point.

I don't see how Regina King agrees to walk around blue and nude in Season Two. And with the Kalvary disposed of, along with much of the police force, they'll have to go in an entirely different direction. I would have preferred this to be a one-shot limited series, a bit more drawn out, with less hokey finale. Just me. Otherwise, loved the series.

Season Two, per Lindelof, not a sure thing.... and not from him.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’s thought from most this was a limited one season series.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s thought from most this was a limited one season series.

The episode on HBO was identified as a Season Finale instead of Series Finale, which is why the speculation. Per the interview., Lindelof says he never thought past this season, and did what he wanted, but doesn't rule out HBO, in their full capitalist wisdom, finding someone else to continue. He's okay with reinvention or continuation, but upon some other creator's inspiration. I agree. This one's done.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I liked the finale and enjoyed the whole season. I remain skeptical of Damon Lindelof's work (that last shot, while predictable, is exactly him), he did deliver one hell of a season.

He did an interview with EW and answered a number of questions about the finale.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/15/watchm...IDstONHXejAopoojDZ4ReB0A57QYwDjH8N36TLWUD_gdk

For the record, he said he didn't mean the last shot to be a cliffhanger, he only meant it to be cinematic. He definitely seems to believe Angela got the powers.

As for another season, he said he'd only do it if he had a great idea, which he currently doesn't. The cast is signed for more seasons, but that doesn't mean they will happen. A second season probably will, but who knows when. Lindelof did say another season could take place anywhere in the past or future, with entirely different characters.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have all nine episodes on my DVR. I will try to start watching them after I get through the Star Wars movies this week.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A second season probably will, but who knows when. Lindelof did say another season could take place anywhere in the past or future, with entirely different characters.
God, please let them use a different era so they can use different characters. Go the Fargo route where things are just barely connected to each other and each season is a self contained story set in the same world. Lindelof and company pulled off the near impossible and created something truly worthy of the Watchmen name and I'd hate to see HBO dilute that accomplishment or the comic book by just pumping out seasons.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It took me a couple of days singing I Am The Walrus to myself before I realized the title of the finale is a lyric from the song.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I see that the Blu ray and DVD versions of this are releasing next Tuesday Jun 2nd. Has there been any word of a 4K UHD release of this? Given that Westworld has a 4K release, I would think that one would be in the cards for this series as well.

I'm fine picking up the Blu if that's all there is going to be, but don't want to end up double dipping if a 4k is coming.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I see that the Blu ray and DVD versions of this are releasing next Tuesday Jun 2nd. Has there been any word of a 4K UHD release of this? Given that Westworld has a 4K release, I would think that one would be in the cards for this series as well.

I'm fine picking up the Blu if that's all there is going to be, but don't want to end up double dipping if a 4k is coming.

There has not. The Digital Bits specifically said there hasn't been any mention of a 4k release. Most TV shows tend not to do those, although HBO did for Game of Thrones. I've ordered the Watchmen blu-rays. Looking forward to it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve not read the comic books and while we saw the movie of several years ago, I remember being disappointed by it. Is this series a stand-alone, something we can watch without prior knowledge.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’ve not read the comic books and while we saw the movie of several years ago, I remember being disappointed by it. Is this series a stand-alone, something we can watch without prior knowledge.

Yes, my son had never read the graphic comic and loved it, as well. You will miss Easter eggs and some origins, but the story stands by itself and it was a great series. Also, despite being called Season 1, the showrunner of this never intended to go further, so there is no cliffhanger ending, thank goodness. And if there is a Season 2, it will be like Fargo, a completely different story in the same world.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It can be watched without having read the comic (or seen the movie) but it does help. The TV show takes place decades later so it's not like The Continuing Adventures Of The Watchmen but there are elements that carry over. My recommendation would be to simply read the synopsis on Wikipedia just to refresh your memory.

EDIT: One thing worth noting is that there are things in the TV show that are mysterious even to the biggest Watchmen fan (but they are explained by the end) so if you're wondering what's what, you're supposed to be wondering rather than missing out due to lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Also, it's a sequel to the comics, not the movie. The movie was really faithful to the comics, so it mostly lines up, but there are some differences -- particularly with the apparently world-ending climax, which is different in the movie than the comics.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Just finished it last night, absolutely fantastic. I can say that prior knowledge of the original story probably isn't required, but will greatly enhance the experience, especially in the final 1/3rd.

I saw some speculation in this thread that the jr. FBI agent was the lube-man. Both of those characters kind of just disappeared towards the end and never were really followed up on, but I think it's a good theory.

Also it's never specifically stated but my take was that the meteorite that hit the couples farm was
Ozymandious returning from Europa
?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been re-watching this show on blu-ray, showing it to my wife for the first time. It's amazingly prescient, and nowhere more so than its use of masks. In the third episode, there is even the line "Masks save lives!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks