1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Watchmen (HBO) Season One

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Josh Dial, Oct 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #121 of 131 Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I was very underwhelmed by the finale. Everything felt slammed together in a very comic book fashion. I didn't get that feel from the rest of the series, which I enjoyed immensely. But trying to button everything down with this brought out some very contrived bits and over the top performances (specifically the villains suddenly acting so much more obviously villainous - Senator and Trieu). Just didn't settle with me after the very deliberate and finely laid out sequences to this point.

I don't see how Regina King agrees to walk around blue and nude in Season Two. And with the Kalvary disposed of, along with much of the police force, they'll have to go in an entirely different direction. I would have preferred this to be a one-shot limited series, a bit more drawn out, with less hokey finale. Just me. Otherwise, loved the series.

Season Two, per Lindelof, not a sure thing.... and not from him.

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    It’s thought from most this was a limited one season series.

3. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    The episode on HBO was identified as a Season Finale instead of Series Finale, which is why the speculation. Per the interview., Lindelof says he never thought past this season, and did what he wanted, but doesn't rule out HBO, in their full capitalist wisdom, finding someone else to continue. He's okay with reinvention or continuation, but upon some other creator's inspiration. I agree. This one's done.

4. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I liked the finale and enjoyed the whole season. I remain skeptical of Damon Lindelof's work (that last shot, while predictable, is exactly him), he did deliver one hell of a season.

He did an interview with EW and answered a number of questions about the finale.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/15/watchmen-finale-interview/?utm_term=03817B44-1FB5-11EA-869F-3AAF96E8478F&utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3u_9ldeSTcV0IDstONHXejAopoojDZ4ReB0A57QYwDjH8N36TLWUD_gdk

For the record, he said he didn't mean the last shot to be a cliffhanger, he only meant it to be cinematic. He definitely seems to believe Angela got the powers.

As for another season, he said he'd only do it if he had a great idea, which he currently doesn't. The cast is signed for more seasons, but that doesn't mean they will happen. A second season probably will, but who knows when. Lindelof did say another season could take place anywhere in the past or future, with entirely different characters.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have all nine episodes on my DVR. I will try to start watching them after I get through the Star Wars movies this week.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

God, please let them use a different era so they can use different characters. Go the Fargo route where things are just barely connected to each other and each season is a self contained story set in the same world. Lindelof and company pulled off the near impossible and created something truly worthy of the Watchmen name and I'd hate to see HBO dilute that accomplishment or the comic book by just pumping out seasons.

joshEH and Josh Steinberg like this.
  8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The obvious choice from where I'm sitting is to do a season about mass incarceration with Dan Dreiberg playing a prominent role, since he sat this season out.

But I definitely agree: Better to make this a one-and-done than turn out a season that doesn't live up to the standard this one set.

joshEH and Josh Steinberg like this.
  9. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    It took me a couple of days singing I Am The Walrus to myself before I realized the title of the finale is a lyric from the song.

Sam Posten likes this.
  10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
  11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim