1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Watchmen (HBO) Season One

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Josh Dial, Oct 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I would think you'll see him at least one more time via flashback.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I know it's only two episodes in but this show is phenomenal.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I came out of the pilot thinking that Judd was secretly working for the Calvary. After Sunday's episode, I'm not so sure. I think the Klansman hood is real, but I'm not so sure that it's Judd's. Judging by the photo, Judd's father was a lawman too, and it seems far more likely that his father was the Klansman. He probably grew up idolizing the old man, and if so, couldn't bear to get rid of even the most incriminating evidence of the old man's most despicable side. Family is complicated. Racism can be complicated.

Louis Gossett Jr. is phenomenal as Angela's grandfather, the mysterious Will. Funny at times, warm at time, but also unreadable and dangerous.

The backstory behind how Angela and her husband came to raise those three children explained a lot about this alternate history, and why the Tulsa police all wear masks.

So far all the real people featured on the show (Robert Redford, Henry Louis Gates, Jr.) were born before the creation of Doctor Manhattan in 1959. Redford was born just before Hooded Justice's debut. The timeline had already diverged by the time Gates was born, but the ripples hadn't yet gathered into a tsunami. I wouldn't want doppelgangers of younger celebrities, though, since events would have transpired differently enough that the same sperm fertilizing the same egg would become increasingly unlikely.

Speaking of Hooded Justice: It's interesting that we're getting the backstories of the "heroes" from the original comics through the intermediary of dramatic interpretation. We get Hooded Justice's origin though a campy, over-the-top episode of the Ryan Murphy-esque "American Hero Story". We get Doctor Manhattan's origin through the hackneyed, amateurish play written by the heretofore unnamed Lord of the Manor.

Speaking of the Lord of the Manor: All of the servants are the same either male or female model. Androids? Clones? His towering tomato tree seems to hint that he's been messing with genetic engineering.

Jim Beaver seems like too much of an actor for the racist on the porch, who is presumably the children's biological grandfather. I'm guessing we'll be seeing quite a bit more of him down the road.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm guessing clones since it's (probably) Ozymandias and he's a genius.

And yeah, Jim Beaver will have to have more to do as the show goes on.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Remember the scene in episode 1 where birds are falling out of the sky? I drove over that street this weekend while in downtown Atlanta, it's the famous Jackson St. bridge/overpass where lots of togs go to take photos of the interstate at night to get the long-exposure light trails, etc. But I digress...

7. Message #27 of 131 Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Those were squids. The implication is that the government is dropping them in order to keep up the appearance of the squid monster attack at the end of the comic. The further implication is that the Seventh Cavalry is sort of correct when they say there is a government conspiracy (even though it was originally Ozymandias' plan, the government(s) have perpetuated it).

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    ...which answered the question as to whether this was a follow-up to the book or the movie.

I actually thought the film’s revision of the ending was a great improvement to a plot point that seemed otherwise out of place in the comics. Then again, I never thought the comic or Alan Moore are as good as many do. But Lindelof has banked up enough good will in my book to see where this is going. His show already strikes me as more mature than the source material.

ponset likes this.
  9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

If Louis Gossett Jr. is playing who I think he's playing, setting this show in the same continuity as the Snyder adaptation would have been impossible.

Josh Steinberg and Sam Posten like this.
  10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Episode Three revelations!
    Dreiberg is apparently in jail (since 1995).
    Laurie Blake (formerly Juspeczyk) is now operating as an anti-vigilante enforcer. Apparently as some sort of plea deal to keep Dreiberg alive.
    Lord of the Country Manor IS Adrian Veidt. Complete with OG comic book costume (for the first time in live action!).
    Looking Glass' real name revealed to be Wade Tillman
    Apparently Veidt is being kept prisoner by the "Game Warden", a domino mask wearing Lone Ranger type figure

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Jean Smart is fantastic. After Legion, Fargo and even 24, I didn't really need a reminder but I'm happy to get one.

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Don’t forget her turn as Shatner’s neighbor/nemesis/love interest in $#*! My Dad Says!

Sam Posten and TravisR like this.
  13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Holy cow. The third episode was absolutely outstanding in every way. Jean Smart was amazing and I hope she's featured throughout the rest of the series. They could still blow it (and given Lindelof's track record, I'm not optimistic) but so far, so good.

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Jean Smart sure knows how to pick the unorthodox comic adaptations.

The big question mark being how the second Silk Spectre ended up being the tip of the spear of the FBI's anti-vigilante task force. The senator does seem to be dangling the fate of her lover (the second Nite Owl) to keep her in line. More interesting is the decision to go by Laurie Blake, given her feelings about the Comedian and the circumstances of her conception.

Is the Game Warden Dr. Manhattan? A creation of Dr. Manhattan? Is Veidt's prison on Mars?

Apparently John Grisham was a Supreme Court Justice. Were all of Redford's appointments celebrity friends?

Sam Posten and Josh Steinberg like this.
  15. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I'm beginning to think the prison is on mars. It would explain the creation suddenly getting frozen cold.. he is trying to figure out how to get out onto Mars surface or back to earth, thus the need to survive incredible freezing cold.

16. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I have a feeling it will be addressed but I think it's because The Comedian is likely a martyr to some in the government & law enforcement and a change of name is another way to distance herself from her vigilante past.

17. Message #37 of 131 Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The inclusion of Jean Smart and the aesthetics of the phone call to Mars definitely gave episode three a bit of a Legion vibe.

Blake isn't what I would call a 'warm' character, so I'm curious to see if the series will continue in that vein or if her interactions with Angela will cause her to alter her outlook on vigilante activism. I'm guessing the answer is no; which leaves the show juggling audience involvement with two antagonistic protagonists. (I would clearly identify Angela Abar as a protagonist, I'm less certain about Blake.)

Nice to get some confirmation on Jeremy Irons' identity, and I agree with the theory that he is on Mars.

I used to be a pretty big Devo fan, but I did not recognize the song that Blake played when she got home (Mongoloid according to Tunefind)

Had to laugh at the episode title She Was Killed by Space Junk. Kind of a double meaning - referring to both the idea of a falling object and sort of a reference to Doctor Manhattan and his predilection for wearing only his birthday suit with his junk on full display.

- Walter.

TravisR likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This is fun!

Wish I had something more insightful or intellectual for you guys, but all I can say is that I’m enjoying the ride. Genuinely haunted by this week’s Jeremy Irons interlude.

In fact, someone should just create a show that’s called The Jeremy Irons Interlude. I’d watch that.

19. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    This is one strange ass show. But so well acted and visual. As someone who barely remembers the graphic novel (though it's on my shelf), I feel somewhat left behind where we're watching them collect pieces that will make better sense when it's all together, but right now it's just vignettes.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's been a few years since I've read the comics but I can't say my knowledge of them is really helping me figure out what's happening here.