Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Watchmen(2019) succeeds as both a rumination on social issues and as a worthy sequel to the graphic novel of the same name.

Watchmen (2019)

Released: 20 Oct 2019
Rated: TV-MA
Runtime: 60 min

Director: N/A
Genre: Action, Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi

Cast: Regina King, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Tom Mison, Sara Vickers
Writer(s): Damon Lindelof

Plot: Set in an alternate history where masked vigilantes are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel of the same name, while attempting to break new ground of its own.

IMDB rating: 8.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...
Continue reading...

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This really was one of the highlights of the comic book genre. I'm a firm believer that no comic book movie ever needs to be rated R, but there are exceptions and this is one. I was skeptical that they cold pull this off, but they did, and then some.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the review, Timothy. I need to pick this up. Too bad there's been no 4K release, in any form.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I still have this on my DVR without watching more than one minute of it. I got some kind of mental block that keeps me from watching it.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I still have this on my DVR without watching more than one minute of it. I got some kind of mental block that keeps me from watching it.

As a huge fan of the original comic book mini-series (because that's what it is, not a graphic novel, it was repackaged that way later) and the Snyder film, I was completely against this at first.

Then it came out, received glowing reviews, so I downgraded to hesitant.

Finally watched it about a month ago and all I can say is, "When does season 2 start?"

Give it a shot, sir, I think you will enjoy.

Reactions: TravisR

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
This really was one of the highlights of the comic book genre. I'm a firm believer that no comic book movie ever needs to be rated R, but there are exceptions and this is one. I was skeptical that they cold pull this off, but they did, and then some.
This thread is about the HBO series, which was actually a sequel to the book, not the movie (if you're familiar with the differences ;) ).

Sadly, it doesn't look like there will be a season 2. I thought the ending was great, but won't complain if they change their minds about that!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Earlier in this thread I wrote about my distaste for anything related to "Lost" and basically said I would never watch anything written by or produced by the same group. I guess I totally forgot this and only remembered how much I loved the movie of "Watchmen" and good reviews I had read of the TV series. I was in Walmart of all places and saw the Blu rays and picked them up as a blind buy.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Over a few days I binge watched it and am now doing something I have never done before -- turning back to the first disc and watching it all again! It is like a big puzzle which gradually completely fills in by the end. I am enjoying catching clues I missed the first time as it assembles itself.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
FYI: I bought the Blu-ray from Best Buy, and it came with 30 free days of HBO Max.
I’m laughing not at you because it came with free HBO Max, but at myself because when I did the discounted preorder for HBO Max, the fine print specified that this was the best bargain available and that there would be no free trials or other discounts made available. :D

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
On September 20, 2020, Watchmen deservedly won the Emmy Award for best limited series. Regina King walked away with the award for outstanding actress in a limited series or TV movie, and her screen husband Yahya Abdul-Mateen II received the award for outstanding supporting actor. Screenwriters Damon Lindelof and Cord Jefferson received awards for best writing for a limited series, movie, or drama special for "This Extraordinary Being."

Has anyone revisited this series since it originally aired? It seems like a series that would stand up well to multiple viewings.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
On September 20, 2020, Watchmen deservedly won the Emmy Award for best limited series. Regina King walked away with the award for outstanding actress in a limited series or TV movie, and her screen husband Yahya Abdul-Mateen II received the award for outstanding supporting actor. Screenwriters Damon Lindelof and Cord Jefferson received awards for best writing for a limited series, movie, or drama special for "This Extraordinary Being."

Has anyone revisited this series since it originally aired? It seems like a series that would stand up well to multiple viewings.
I bought the Blu rays and watched them twice in a row. I am trying to convince my wife to watch it, but since the 2020 troubles, she will only watch “light” programs.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Detour (1945)

Sam Favate

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I did. It more than stands up. The show is more relevant to today than even just last year. At one point, a character says "Masks save lives!" which was an unintended, but noticeable nugget of relevancy. Obviously, with all the civil unrest this year has seen, the show was on the nose.

• Agreed
Reactions: Detour (1945)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anusambtneha