What's new

Watching widescreen DVD's (1 Viewer)

Kevin_M_E

Auditioning
I have a Sony Wega 32" TV (KV-32FS100) that does 16:9 Enhanced Mode. When I watch widescreen DVD's, I know that I should have the TV use the enhanced mode, but should I also tell my DVD that my TV is 16:9? My DVD player has three settings, 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 Panscan and 16:9 Wide. Which setting should I use?

Dean_D

Auditioning
You are correct. When you turn on 16:9 enhanced you should make sure the DVD is set for a 16:9 TV because this is what you have set your TV to work like. 4:3 letterbox is kind of useless in my opinion when you have 16:9 enhanced on your TV. 4:3 panscan is for full screen and non-anamorphic DVDs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
4:3 letterbox is kind of useless in my opinion when you have 16:9 enhanced on your TV. 4:3 panscan is for full screen and non-anamorphic DVDs.
There's no real difference between 4:3 letterbox and 4:3 pan&scan. (The only difference is that 4:3 P&S will automatically crop widescreen DVDs that are coded for P&S on the fly -- which almost no discs are.)

If a TV set has 16:9 capabilities, the DVD player should be left in the 16:9 setting at all times. This will not affect the display of full screen and nonanamorphic DVDs.

M.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Another difference between 4:3 letterbox and 4:3 pan&scan on my DVD player is it defaults to whichever one you pick when a DVD has both on the same side of the disc. If my player's menu is set to Pan&Scan, and I pick widescreen in the DVD menu, it will still show me the Pan&Scan.

Dean_D

Auditioning
Michael:

I believe 4:3 letterbox will squeeze full screen dvds. As you said 16:9 doesn't and this is why I believe the mode is pointless when you have 16:9.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
this is why I believe the mode is pointless when you have 16:9.
The 4:3 modes are "pointless" with a 16:9 monitor, because their purpose is to downconvert 16:9-enhanced DVDs for display on a 4:3 monitor. That's the only reason. Moreoever, the DVD player setting should have no effect at all on "full screen" (i.e., 4:3 non-letterboxed) titles.

M.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not really getting the advantage of 16:9 here. I have a similar set to Kevin. If the dvd is widescreen the tv automatically letterboxes it for me. What does 16:9 get me?

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks