What's new

watching 'Star Wars' with a 6 year old (1 Viewer)

Tim Campbell

Agent
WHat are some of the Easter Eggs on the Phantom DVD?

You know what was funny for me was when I was 5 I saw A new Hope. I saw Empire at 8. At that time there was something about Lea that I could not figure out that I liked so much. Then I was 11, saw Jedi, and the Bikini and at that point, I realized what it was all about.

Same thing with Catherine Bach when they started rerunning Dukes of Hazzard. Something about those shorts that did it for me.

mark_d

Second Unit
RobertR - just a genuine bit of friendly advice. Let it go. You'll end up with an ulcer. I don't think there's anyone here at the HTF who isn't completely aware of how you feel about the SEs and TPM. I'm trying to be sincere which is pretty difficult on this sort of forum. I don't mind that you can't stand what I like - I'm sure there's plenty more and it works both ways - but you seem as if you've let it get under your skin.

If I'm out of line, I appologize.

Back on topic, I'd be interested to hear about Luka's reaction if he gets to see TPM again after he's seen the original trilogy - once he's gotten to know the characters a little more. As it is, it sounds like a little of the back story enhanced his enjoyment of ANH. I know it did for me.

Mark

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad someone finally found something positive to say about Star Wars.:)
Back to the topic, I bet it's neat watching a child's reaction and and remember your childhood with Star Wars. I"ll be waiting to hear more of her experiences.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
My 8 year old is going through the same thing, she just starting watch Star Wars as well, and is eager for more. She watched I, then IV, and we are going to get V over Christmas. It really is fun to see her start connecting the characters and the magic that the movies bring. It is also refreshing to have someone who isn't looking critically at the movies, or analyzing them to the Nth degree, but rather just watching and enjoying. She questions, but not about directing, scenes, special effects, etc., but about the characters and what drives them, the force, Darth Vader (where did he get that suit?) and similar things. Makes it all fun again :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
As much as I like this thread, it's making it ever so much more difficult to keep me from going out today and buying the WS Original Trilogy on VHS so that I can watch it again for myself and also show it to my 5 year old son. I'm holding out waiting for the DVDs. It's a matter of principal...but, oh...the temptation is getting too strong.
DON'T GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE!
...Ok I'm better now. Still waiting for the DVDs. :frowning:

Stevie O

Agent

I am going through a similar thing with my seven year old, after getting TPM on DVD he wanted to know how I knew that Anakin became Darth Vader, what happened to Obi-Wan etc etc.
He can't believe thaat I saw the OT ALL THOSE YEARS AGO (mind you , he doesn't believe me when I tell him DVDs have only been around for a few years).
We have since watched ROTJ and ESB, and it is great to see him "connect the dots" in the story arc. We recently saw a poster advertising AOTC at our local megaplex and all he could say was "WOW...."
Happy Holidays to all - peace on Earth, goodwill to all men
Steve

ace peterson

Second Unit
Yeah, this is a nice post. I am eager for the day when I can watch the Star Wars movies with my now 2 year old son. Hopefully he will be hooked on them as well, and want to ask me all those questions... which I'd be happy to answer of course! ;)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
So, I thought I'd finally drop in and update this thread...
Luka has now seen all three of the originals, plus Attack of the Clones (which he quite enjoyed), and has re-viewed The Phantom Menace, which he liked better this time around.
All in all, his favourite, by a mile, is the original Star Wars, which he refers to as "Star Wars A New Hope" (no punctuation, no pauses, no breath), even though I always just call it "Star Wars". And even though he now has the OT on VHS at his place, he apparently prefers to see Star Wars in Aaron and Vanessa's movie theatre. Maybe it's the volume. ;)
Now, all his questions involve how Annakin will become Darth Vader, and he's a little nonplussed when I explain that I have been waiting since 1983 to find out the same thing. I told him how lucky he is that he only has to wait two more years to find out, since by that time I'll have waited twenty. Then I felt really old.
Between Luka's interest in Star Wars and the release of Attack of the Clones, I've really found myself hit hard with Star Wars fever. I mean, I watched the three films of the OT back-to-back at my bachelor party, which was less than two months ago, and since then I've watched Jedi twice, Empire once, Star Wars once, and Phantom Menace twice, and I still have the urge to go home and load up one of them giant shiny discs for a couple of hours of Star Wars fuelled entertainment.
Thankfully, Luka wants to come over and watch Star Wars again, so I have an excuse. I think my wife suspects that I have lost my mind.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
great scene in Reign of Fire, especially when the kid asked if he made that up and he said "of course I did!"

StephenA

Screenwriter
At least you had an easy time converting him Aaron. It took me from 1995 to this past year to convert my 11 year old sister completely. Now she loves them. She went to see The Phantom Menace in '99, and Attack of the Clones with me. She even noticed how Anakin already started turning in Attack of the Clones, even before he killed the Tusken Raiders. She connected the dots very quickly and easily in both the Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. She can't wait for Episode 3 now.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
When I went to see ANH SE at the theater, beside me was a 30-something man and his little boy who was about 4-6 years old. My first thought was "oh no, there's a little brat next to me, he'd better keep quiet and not cry or anything". But he was perfectly behaved. Not one peep during the movie, I guess it kept his attention and I don't know but he might have even enjoyed it. On the other hand, his father kept mimicking R2-D2, making beeping and whistling noises every time R2 did.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Aaron, just great GREAT posts. I love stories like that, not just about how Star Wars can capture a child's imagination, but any film. Lovely thread.

Dan

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
On the other hand, his father kept mimicking R2-D2, making beeping and whistling noises every time R2 did.
I saw the SE films in the theater during college, and it still amazes me how grown men, myself included, reverted completely back to childlike mannerisms during the course of the pictures. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks