What's new

watching 'Star Wars' with a 6 year old (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Recently I was talking to my fiancee's little cousins, who are four and six years old, and I was horrified to discover that Luka (the six year old), who considers himself a movie fan, had never seen the original Star Wars films.
I did some thinking about it, and then I realized that I first saw Star Wars at my sixth birthday party, so it was not too late to save Luka.
My own first viewing of Star Wars was on a CED videodisc that my parents had rented, along with a player. We had borrowed a colour TV from next door (we only had black & white), and we brought down the stereo system from upstairs to hook up for the sound.
Luka was luckier than me: last night we watched the widescreen THX LD of the not-special edition ( :) ) in my mongrel of a home theatre.
Well, he was hooked from the start. He had seen Phantom Menace and hadn't been that impressed with it (he told me it wasn't as good as Pokemon), but A New Hope grabbed him and didn't let him go.
Highlights of Luka's reaction (some spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the original trilogy yet):
-the Luke / Annakin connection: Luka asks, "Is Luke Skywalker related to Annakin Skywalker?" I tell him that Luke is Annakin's son. Later, he recognizes Obi-Wan, and is horrified to find out that Darth Vader killed Annakin. He asks, "Darth Vader killed the little boy?" I tell him, "No, Darth Vader killed him when he grew up." He's going to kill me when he sees the sequels. ;)
-the Death Star trench run: Luka was on the edge of his seat the whole time. He got incredibly nervous during Luke's run, especially after Wedge had peeled off and Biggs had been blown up. He actually got up out of his seat and shouted "Oh no LUKE!" when Vader locked on to Luke's X-Wing
So, despite the lateness of the hour, Luka very much wanted to watch the next episode (and I'll admit, I did too), but then his parents showed up to cart him home.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Great post! :)
Let us know how young Luke...er...Luka reacts to The Empire Strikes Back.

PeteD

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that's a great story.
I wish I had a little one(or big one for that matter) that hadn't seen Star Wars. Must have been pretty magical to see.
My GF hadn't seen Empire or Jedi and had just seen the ANH SE in the theatre. So one Saturday night we started watching Empire (LD Original Trilogy) loud. She was asleep by Dagobah. :frowning:
I have like 170 DVD's and she's seen maybe 20 of them.
What to do...
P.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So you mean that TPM doesn't work for a 6 year old? :D I’m sure I read somewhere that they said we made it for the kids!:)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I don't think it was that Phantom Menace didn't work for Luka...just that he wasn't floored by it, y'know? Which is how I feel about it, too. :)
We're trying to arrange some follow-up viewings, because otherwise I'm sure that he'll beg his parents to buy or rent him Empire and Jedi, and chances are he'll get pan & scan "Special" Editions...and we just can't have that. Gotta make sure this kid is raised right.
:)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
A female friend of mine (I'm a 16 year old male, she's 18) went to see Episode I with my father, brother, and a few other friends at the 12:01 showing opening day and she loved it. Because of that, she has wanted to see Episode II for 2 years and is eagerly awaiting next May so we can go see it.

She also got into the other 3 films and watched them, then she asked me how everything fit together and I had to explain it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I have an 8 year-old niece who has never seen or even heard about the trilogy before I mentioned it. She did not know who Darth Vader was.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Earlier in New Hope, we find out who Luke's father is. We just don't know Annakin's you-know-who until Empire Strikes Back.
Oh man! Aaron, if you do get that kid to watch Empire with you, you MUST report back with his reaction to that revelation! If you don't we shall have to find a lightsabre and sever your right hand.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I just hope nobody spoils it for him.
Annakin Skywalker is revealed as Luke's father early on in the series. Luka asked the first time that he heard the name Skywalker, so I told him their relationship. I would never spoil the ending of Empire for anyone.
Personally, from about 1981 to 1983 I believed that Darth Vader was lying, to try to get Luke over to the dark side. I was antsy all the way through the Tatooine segment of Jedi, waiting for someone, ANYONE to address the issue of Luke's parentage. :)

Tim Campbell

Agent
We all were Aaron.

One of my Favorite Simpsons is when Marge and Homer were Coming out of Empire and Homer says "I cant believe Darth Vader is lukes Father!" He is almost killed.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
One of my favorite memories of seeing someone new to Star Wars was when I saw SW:ANH:SE the first time... early on a Friday afternoon, some guy was there with his kid, who was seeing it for the first time.
The kid, poor thing, was confused. Almost anytime someone new came onto the screen, "is that a bad guy?" After all, as the film opened, there were guys in uniforms, guys in snazzy white suits, a guy in a REALLY snazzy black suit, and a couple of droids. (Forget the girl; do six year old boys care about girls?)
So anyway, the kid is starting to get a handle on the situation, and R2 is rolling down the canyon.
Enter Jawa!
"Is that a bad guy?"
ZZAap!
unfortunately, I didn't hear the response. I'm not sure how the concept of a neutral fit into the kid's black and white view of the world.
Leo

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Luka did ask that question a lot in the first part of the film, too, and he did specifically ask about the Jawas. After meeting Ben Kenobi, though, everything seemed more clearly defined for him (or maybe he had now seen all the different uniforms and had separated good from bad).

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Tim, I remember that Simpsons episode. Maybe that part could show up as an easter egg on the eventual Empire disc, eh? Credits end, music fades out, then cut to Homer walking out of the theatre.

Simpsons are controlled by Fox, so that ought to help.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
There is even a THX trailer that uses the Simpsons, so that might increase the possibilities even further...

...even though I'm not sure I care all that much...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks