What's new

Watching PAL DVD disc: options wanted (1 Viewer)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
This topic spans a number of boards, but I'll keep it in this one for now as 2 out of 3 of my questions are computer related:

A friend of mine sent me a universal (all regions) DVD.
Unfortunately however it is in PAL format and my Sony DVD player gives a region error anyway because it only plays NTSC discs.

I can play the disc properly on my computer DVD, but I'd really like to get this working on a standard DVD player.

So I figure I have 3 options:

A) Buy a DVD player that plays PAL disks and can convert to NTSC internally. So is it possible to get such a player in the US? If so, can someone recommend one? I'm thinking under $200, support DD and DTS, and have progressive output using component cables.

B) Hook my computer to my system for playing such disks. Already know how to do this, but its the most expensive option thus far. I know I can get video cards that have S-video out, but do any support progressive component out?

C) Convert the PAL DVD to NTSC format and burn a new DVD. This is probably the easiest method, but unfortunately one I have no idea on how to do regarding the conversion (I know how to burn DVDs). This disc is not commercial content, so no discussion on decrypting/hacking the disk is needed (or wanted). I can easily see the video files (vobs, etc) in question, but have no idea what's what or where to proceed next. Can one just use TMPEGenc and convert the video directly and reburn the disc? This is how I'd do it if I were convert PAL to NTSC for VCD's, but I've never done it to DVDs before.

Thanks for any help.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I can easily see the video files (vobs, etc) in question, but have no idea what's what or where to proceed next. Can one just use TMPEGenc and convert the video directly and reburn the disc? This is how I'd do it if I were convert PAL to NTSC for VCD's, but I've never done it to DVDs before.
If you have the MPEG-2 files, yes, you can do this. I should warn you you're going to have to do some vertical squishing because of the additional lines.

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A) Buy a DVD player that plays PAL disks and can convert to NTSC internally. So is it possible to get such a player in the US? If so, can someone recommend one? I'm thinking under $200, support DD and DTS, and have progressive output using component cables.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not happening. $250-260 is the best you're going to do
Unless... you do what I did and got a $70 dollar Apex 1500 which after flashing rendered it multiregion... this model outputs both NTSC and PAL and converts back and forth... not a great player but for the price it can't be sniffed at. EDIT - no progressive output though :frowning: sorry misread.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Mart, I am ignorant on this PAL business, I do know about Apex, are you saying that with the Apex, you do NOT need a PAL capable TV??? I thought at least in the past, PAL/NTSC capable DVD player just means the player is both format capable, but one still need a TV that can do both, not true anymore?

MartEvans

Stunt Coordinator
with the Apex it does do the conversion from pal to ntsc and vice versa... so you you can playback on an ntsc tv, the only problem is unless you have a w/s tv when you play back an anamorphic w/s R2 disc it stretches the picture to fill the screen - if you have a w/s set this does not happen. I do know that there are Malata players that do the conversion and do not have this glitch. Check this site for any further info - http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

Danny R

Supporting Actor
Not happening. $250-260 is the best you're going to do

>>HOWEVER the Apex's PAL converstion is...shall we say.....shitty

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
An HTPC will do a great job, however unless you're going in through component or VGA input, most graphics cards don't look so good on TV
JVC makes a model, and there's the Malata N-520 you can find a nice selection at http://www.hkflix.com
And in case anyone thinks my Apex hate isn't justified, I'm stuck with one until I can get myself a new TV with a component in :) (for my PAL watching that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks