What's new

Watching Mono DVDs..... (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

From the options offered to you by your system, choose the one that sounds best to you.

M.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael,

I guess what I was trying to ask was, is it "okay" to run mono DVDs just through the center channel, or does there HAVE TO BE some kind of processing applied, or some kind of step taken, where the signal would be spread to the stereo fronts, or throughout the room as in All Channel Stereo?

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Pat, the "Direct" setting stops the receiver from doing any surround processing. I finally (I think) got my receiver set up the best way for me. For example, if I have the TV input set to PL II, it will do the surround processing. However, by pressing "Direct" it prevents the surround, so you would get the sound the way it's sent to the receiver (except I've got the sub getting the low frequencies). "Direct" is only in effect until you switch the receiver off or select a surround mode again. It's not a setting in the menu; it's an adhoc setting.

Do you have a digital input from your DVD to the receiver? If so, and if you have a "Direct" setting on your receiver, you should be able to defeat the PL II when you want to just get the mono signal. I'm curious: by using the PL II setting on your DVD input, don't you mess up the sound when you watch a DVD w/ DD 5.1 or DTS?

I know what you mean about the sound being odd w/ the PL II. I'd rather just hear the sound as it comes from the DVD; I only use PL II to get a fake surround when watching TV.

Doug

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"Pat, the "Direct" setting stops the receiver from doing any surround processing. I finally (I think) got my receiver set up the best way for me. For example, if I have the TV input set to PL II, it will do the surround processing. However, by pressing "Direct" it prevents the surround, so you would get the sound the way it's sent to the receiver (except I've got the sub getting the low frequencies). "Direct" is only in effect until you switch the receiver off or select a surround mode again. It's not a setting in the menu; it's an adhoc setting.

Do you have a digital input from your DVD to the receiver? If so, and if you have a "Direct" setting on your receiver, you should be able to defeat the PL II when you want to just get the mono signal. I'm curious: by using the PL II setting on your DVD input, don't you mess up the sound when you watch a DVD w/ DD 5.1 or DTS?

I know what you mean about the sound being odd w/ the PL II. I'd rather just hear the sound as it comes from the DVD; I only use PL II to get a fake surround when watching TV."

Doug,

The Pro Logic II circuitry ISNT on when I play mono DVDs in stereo, which I complained about their sound...I override the PLII by pressing STEREO on my receiver, but to me, this sounds more "awkward" than just letting the soundtrack come from the center speaker when PLII decodes it.

On my receiver, Dolby Digital and DTS both play back fine even though I have PLII assigned to send stereo DVDs into surround; DD and DTS take over when I put a DD or DTS disc in the player, and PLII only engages when Im watching something with a "Dolby Surround" or mono soundtrack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks