'WATCHING ELLE' returns April 15th. Going to give it another chance?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Inspector Hammer!, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Anyone?

I saw in the TV Guide that it's coming back, without the "real time" gimmick and will be in front of a live audience this time. This solves two of my major gripes with it the first time. I'll be watching, hopefully this will help things for the show.

But again, the Seinfeld curse lurks...

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'll give it a shot. The previews look kind of funny and I'm glad they lost the gimmicks. It's going to be on after "Frasier" right?

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'll watch it for sure. I liked the "gimmicks" though, separated the show from some of the other sitcoms. I think it could be just as good without them however.

/Mike

4. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    The review I read today in the S.F chronicle said it was worse than before and that for it to be even worse was hard since it was pretty bad the first time.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Since I disagree totally with the SF Chronicle writer (he calls last season "deathly bad" and "a transparent vanity project for Louis-Dreyfus, highlighting her singing and cleavage"), what he thinks about this season isn't very meaningful for me. [​IMG]

/Mike

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

No. Why? Because it's blocking us from getting Hidden Hills back on.[​IMG]

Bob

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hell, I didn't give it a first chance. Against 24 and Smallville, and with the gimmicks that made it at least an interesting idea removed? Not bloody likely.

8. ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa Cinematographer

I just wanted to point out that I was amused to find Julia Louis-Dreyfus' cleavage and "Hidden Hills" mentioned in the same thread.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And, speaking of Hidden Hills, Paula Marshall has already been cast in another pilot for fall - Alligator Creek with Nathan Fillion and Jamie Pressley.

Which means, of course, that AC will get picked up and not survive the season.

(Then again, if Lauren Graham can have a show last 3+ years...)

10. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

No thanks. Hated it when it debuted. Don't think it could be any better. I happen to agree with the Chronicle writer.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

So what did you guys think? I enjoyed it quite a bit, but missed Peter Stormare as "Ingvar". I guess the new "watching Ellie" bit is gonna be that's the episode is based around her visiting the shrink? Works for me.

/Mike

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Damn, I was so into what happened on Buffy that I neglected my own thread! :b

I liked it too. It's definatly better without that annoying running clock on the screen all the time, and the laugh track helped quite a bit too, it helps me laugh when I know that others think somethings funny. On the other hand Curb your Ethusiasm doesn't have a laugh track and I laugh my ass off, so go figure.

Julia's in good form, both figuratively AND physically, the show could work.

13. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

There was yet another example of "pseudo-lesbian" humor I had mentioned in a previous thread.

Ellie: "She was so hot, I was getting turned on!"

(And yet, later, she went the other way in saying, "but we're not gay" in reference to Frasier and his brother.)

Overall, I didn't think the show was anything special.

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, I thought of that thread when she said it. [​IMG]

/Mike

15. Robert Montoya

They need to lose the laugh track. It could be a female version of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM.

16. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I liked the first version of Watching Ellie and did not like the new version at all. I thought the laugh track felt forced and the Julia's character Ellie was sort of elaine redone. When I saw Ellie the first time I didnt think of the elaine character. I thought julia pulled off Ellie better before as a new character and it looks like the producers wanted more of an elaine feel to her character, it felt like elaine got a new show. I thought the original Watching Ellie had a good gimmick with the 20 minute countdown, with a few flaws the first airing was better. The show even looked different to me this time compared to the first airing. I thought the original airing closely resembled Curb Your Enthusiasm and now it looks just like any other sitcom, the pause for laughter was annoying after seeing the first one. but I will watch a few episodes to get a full idea.