What's new

'WATCHING ELLE' returns April 15th. Going to give it another chance? (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Anyone?

I saw in the TV Guide that it's coming back, without the "real time" gimmick and will be in front of a live audience this time. This solves two of my major gripes with it the first time. I'll be watching, hopefully this will help things for the show.

But again, the Seinfeld curse lurks...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll give it a shot. The previews look kind of funny and I'm glad they lost the gimmicks. It's going to be on after "Frasier" right?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I'll watch it for sure. I liked the "gimmicks" though, separated the show from some of the other sitcoms. I think it could be just as good without them however.

/Mike

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
The review I read today in the S.F chronicle said it was worse than before and that for it to be even worse was hard since it was pretty bad the first time.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Since I disagree totally with the SF Chronicle writer (he calls last season "deathly bad" and "a transparent vanity project for Louis-Dreyfus, highlighting her singing and cleavage"), what he thinks about this season isn't very meaningful for me. :)

/Mike

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
No. Why? Because it's blocking us from getting Hidden Hills back on.:angry:

Bob

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Hell, I didn't give it a first chance. Against 24 and Smallville, and with the gimmicks that made it at least an interesting idea removed? Not bloody likely.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to point out that I was amused to find Julia Louis-Dreyfus' cleavage and "Hidden Hills" mentioned in the same thread.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
And, speaking of Hidden Hills, Paula Marshall has already been cast in another pilot for fall - Alligator Creek with Nathan Fillion and Jamie Pressley.

Which means, of course, that AC will get picked up and not survive the season.

(Then again, if Lauren Graham can have a show last 3+ years...)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
No thanks. Hated it when it debuted. Don't think it could be any better. I happen to agree with the Chronicle writer.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
So what did you guys think? I enjoyed it quite a bit, but missed Peter Stormare as "Ingvar". I guess the new "watching Ellie" bit is gonna be that's the episode is based around her visiting the shrink? Works for me.

/Mike

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Damn, I was so into what happened on Buffy that I neglected my own thread! :b

I liked it too. It's definatly better without that annoying running clock on the screen all the time, and the laugh track helped quite a bit too, it helps me laugh when I know that others think somethings funny. On the other hand Curb your Ethusiasm doesn't have a laugh track and I laugh my ass off, so go figure.

Julia's in good form, both figuratively AND physically, the show could work.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
There was yet another example of "pseudo-lesbian" humor I had mentioned in a previous thread.

Ellie: "She was so hot, I was getting turned on!"

(And yet, later, she went the other way in saying, "but we're not gay" in reference to Frasier and his brother.)

Overall, I didn't think the show was anything special.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I liked the first version of Watching Ellie and did not like the new version at all. I thought the laugh track felt forced and the Julia's character Ellie was sort of elaine redone. When I saw Ellie the first time I didnt think of the elaine character. I thought julia pulled off Ellie better before as a new character and it looks like the producers wanted more of an elaine feel to her character, it felt like elaine got a new show. I thought the original Watching Ellie had a good gimmick with the 20 minute countdown, with a few flaws the first airing was better. The show even looked different to me this time compared to the first airing. I thought the original airing closely resembled Curb Your Enthusiasm and now it looks just like any other sitcom, the pause for laughter was annoying after seeing the first one. but I will watch a few episodes to get a full idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks